The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea, but wanted to ask if anyone else ever tried it before I risk it. When I dehydrate puffballs, I slice them into strips and put them into the dehyrator. When they are done, I vacume pack them and freeze them til I'm ready to use them. I was wondering if anybody ever tried crushing them after they were dry, into sort of a mushroom powder-like consistancy? I know, sounds odd. I like to dredge my deer steaks in seasoned flour before I cook them, and to be able to mix that in with the flour sounds REALLY good to me. Anyone?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have done this with papinkies and sprinkle on fried potatoes with excellent results. Your idea sounds great and I'm going to try it on my next backstraps.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's done. I had 5 full trays in the dehydrator. Till they dried and I got them crushed, I got about 1/3 of a sandwich bag full. Into the freezer, and now all I need are some deer steaks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not to high jack but I have about 15 giant puffballs in my back yard. When I cook them they go soft on me. Is there a way to cook them that makes them good?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Sounds good.. Notice in a few mushroom books I have they tell you to make shroom powder for cooking...Gravies and sauces etc..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts