The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here until today... I usually do most of my posting over in the "Outdoor Photography" section, but I lurk here regularly.
Just wanted to share a few pics of the puff balls that I cooked up today. Delicious!

Cleaned, sliced and ready for the frying pan...

Golden Brown & Delicious....

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Looking good Jenny, I heard they are pretty tasty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moss said:
Looking good Jenny, I heard they are pretty tasty.
They are mild and delicious... I just cooked them in a little browned butter, sprinkled with some salt and had them with some bacon & eggs for breakfast. Good stuff!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
They look great. I had a pretty good year for puffballs last year, so I tried something different. I cut them into small pieces and dehydrated them. When they were dry, I took a rolling pin and crushed them into a flour-like consistancy. I kept it frozen, and then mixed in with some seasoned flour and coated some venison steaks with it and cooked in butter. Awesome!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I love wild mushrooms however I tried some puff balls last sunday over an open fire frid in butter with salt/pepper. I didnt care for them, they had little meat to them IMO. I like to try everything, these were not for me is all. good find though.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I agree with 700varmit, puffballs are always fun to hunt and find and take pictures of...but as for flavor I recall thinking they tasted something akin to a dirty shop rag dipped in stale gasoline....just to many toxins.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ripnmax said:
I agree with 700varmit, puffballs are always fun to hunt and find and take pictures of...but as for flavor I recall thinking they tasted something akin to a dirty shop rag dipped in stale gasoline....just to many toxins.
Maybe it depends on where/when they are found... because these were truly delicious. Very mild, nice mushroom taste, almost nutty when pan fried. Nothing "off putting" about them at all.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We took one this week and busted it up into pieces as . big as nickles or quarters. Put them in a bowl with egg and milk. Mixed them real well and then sprinkled on garlic powder and italian seasoning. Mixed in a little flour and crushed wheat thins. Then put all that into a pan with butter. Smashed it flat like a pancake. Man was it good. Heres a pic

·
Registered
274 Posts
they look good, My wife and I we're camping at virginias beach {Erie} this past weekend. weather was rainy so we took a ride and found a fresh giant puffball. the size of a bushel basket. I sliced off enough for our dinner and gave the rest to the camp owner. As far as flavor? they are not the best tasting mushroom imo, but with a good sweet butter and a little seasoning, i won't pass them up.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
My horse pasture is loaded with them.Over the weekend,I sliced one up and fried it in butter.I would have rather fried up a pile of horse crap lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dce said:
My horse pasture is loaded with them.Over the weekend,I sliced one up and fried it in butter.I would have rather fried up a pile of horse crap lol.
See, from what I've read here and from talking to friends, I think it really depends on where you find them. Someone told me they found some in a cow pasture and they tasted awful, but others who have found them in open fields where animals aren't kept say they are mild and delicious. I found mine in an open grassy area where no animals are kept. I think this may have a lot to do with the flavor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts