The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there public trails in epa? I have never rode on state land before only private and would like a nice place for a family ride. I saw Rausch Creek when I googled bit dont know if you pay to ride or how that works. Pretty much a noob at legal public places. Any info appreciated

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Rails to trails is for walking, I think the op is talking about atv riding.

Reactions: jimsdad

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Is there public trails in epa? I have never rode on state land before only private and would like a nice place for a family ride. I saw Rausch Creek when I googled bit dont know if you pay to ride or how that works. Pretty much a noob at legal public places. Any info appreciated
If you are talking about Rausch gap area, that is game lands and no atv riding is allowed.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
there are no legal places to offroad in pa
if your just looking to drive there are public roads in the state forests and minimal access to some gamelands
BUT DONT GO OFF THE DESIGNATED ROAD

if your looking to offroad you have
rausch creek offroad park
AOA
or famous reading

rausch creek charges by the vehical I think
famous reading is by permit
not sure about AOA

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
A little more in central Pa....Bloody Skillet ATV trails in Sproul SF. A DCNR area for off roading. Rt.144/ Dehaus Road. In same general area....Snow Shoe Rails to Trails. You have to get a membership, $25-$30 I believe. You can go on a long ride on SSRTT.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
if your just looking to drive there are public roads in the state forests and minimal access to some gamelands

AOA
or famous reading

not sure about AOA
Actually, it is illegal to drive an unlicensed vehicle on any game lands road, you do not have to go off road to be arrested.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rausch creek said atv and off road trails. I also saw on DCNR ANF has ATV trails but thats far from me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

AOA
or famous reading

not sure about AOA
looking for atv trails not looking to go wheeling just take the kids and wife and cruise around. I will check out those other places you mentioned. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/ATVRiding/ATVTrailsinStateForests/Pages/default.aspx

Adams and Cumberland Counties -- 36 miles of summer trail. During the winter season the trail system is expanded to 42 miles by using some dirt roads that are gated during the winter. Part of the trail system is shared with snowmobiles when there is sufficient snowfall. The trail is located between Big Flat and Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Access to these are from parking lots located at Big Flat along Shippensburg Road about 1-1/4 miles north of its intersection with Route 233 and on Piney Mountain along Bendersville Road south of Pine Grove Furnace State Park.
Contact: Michaux State Forest, 10099 Lincoln Way East, Fayetteville, PA 17222
Phone: 717-352-2211

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/ATVRiding/ATVTrailsinStateForests/Pages/default.aspx

Adams and Cumberland Counties -- 36 miles of summer trail. During the winter season the trail system is expanded to 42 miles by using some dirt roads that are gated during the winter. Part of the trail system is shared with snowmobiles when there is sufficient snowfall. The trail is located between Big Flat and Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Access to these are from parking lots located at Big Flat along Shippensburg Road about 1-1/4 miles north of its intersection with Route 233 and on Piney Mountain along Bendersville Road south of Pine Grove Furnace State Park.
thank you!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
famous reading has a lot of cycles ,quads , and them go real fast buggies.
they all look kinda surprised when I go wheeling past them in my jeep
depending on how much you intend to ride you may look into it
there are no daily permits only yearly

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

Can you use sidexsides? rocks? mud holes? those I wise to avoid.. Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
This trail system is pretty decent. I have ridden it quite a bit. It is rocky, but not many mud holes. Machines can't be wider that 50 inches. Plenty of parking at both ends. The green trails are fairly smooth, but the blue and black trails are rough and rocky. SXS and 4 wheelers are allowed, no dirt bikes. Must be registered and have liability insurance and wear helmet.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do I know which trails accomodate an atv over 50" wide. The susquehanna trail does not specify on the dcnr site

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This trail system is pretty decent. I have ridden it quite a bit. It is rocky, but not many mud holes. Machines can't be wider that 50 inches. Plenty of parking at both ends. The green trails are fairly smooth, but the blue and black trails are rough and rocky. SXS and 4 wheelers are allowed, no dirt bikes. Must be registered and have liability insurance and wear helmet.
which system? Sorry if im missing it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts