The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week I saw some of the worst hunting practices ever on public land.
My wife and I arrived at Michaux stateforest to see about 15 guys standing in the middle of the road. I told my wife that it looked like they were going to put a drive on. We went in the woods about 70-100 yards away hoping to keep some distance from them. That turned out wrong. As we were sitting there we could hear them hollaring while walking through the woods. While I don't have anything against them doing a drive the way they did it was the worst I have ever experienced.
While we were sitting there one of the guys was walking 75-80 yards in front of us. Someone else started screamining "they are coming". About that time there were 8 doe running right to the guy in front of us. When they got about 30 yards from he he started shooting. He shot at all of them until his gun was empty and started to reload.
One of the other guys driving hollarded and asked him if he got an of them. His response was "I don't think so"

My wife's response was if she had been that poor at shooting at that close range, and shooting wildly like he did she would be so embarressed she would throw her gun away and never go back out again.......... I would have to agree with her.

Most of the guys we saw were older, 50ish. I would have expected better of them.

Needless to say we got up and left. We just didn't feel safe.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Where abouts in Michaux, similiar incident saturday morning happened to my brother while he was in the stand. Had guys all around him who were "driving" and wildly shooting. Send me a PM with location if you don't feel comfortable on an open forum announcing teh location

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Silent drives are a lot more effective that the banging and screaming kind.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was on Pine Grove Ridge road... I think thats the name. It is the road near the Pine Grove atv parking lot. It is where that road and Railroad Road intersect.

We normaly only deer hunt on private property but decided to give the area around the atv trails a try. Won't do that again.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Phantom_geo said:
It was on Pine Grove Ridge road... I think thats the name. It is the road near the Pine Grove atv parking lot. It is where that road and Railroad Road intersect.

We normaly only deer hunt on private property but decided to give the area around the atv trails a try. Won't do that again.
What time of day?
I had drivers by me in the morning in Michaux. Sounds like the same crew.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
May of been the same group, but different drive from one i'm referring to. One I'm referring to was about 7 in the morning! They ended up driving the same couple areas all day. I talked to one of the guys, said they shot 1 small doe fawn in the first drive. another guy unloaded oin a small herd of deer flat out running in a thick clear cut. Said the guy unloaded and the deer were like 80 yards into the clear cut. Just shooting at brown moving targets... SLOB!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
So you suspected a drive was being organized and you went a whopping 70 - 100 yds in the woods to get away from them???

Michaux is huge is all I'm gonna say.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
what i was thinking. so one guy in the group can't shoot so "they" are bad hunters and not the guy who says hey looks like a drive think i'll jump in on that.

just my opinion

·
Registered
982 Posts
70 or 100 or 300 yerds into the woods what does it matter. From my experience observing drives in the Michaux forest area ( Michaux Road or the new Chambersburg Reservoir) over the past many years is that those hunters don't have much respect for the hunters that have already been in the woods before sunrise. They just start shooting when they see brown and then try to figure it out at the end of the drive IMO. Sounds like that is what took place on Saturday in 2 seperate areas of Michaux. In the area I was hunting it started at 7am. You can get rewarded from them, but most of the time they just walk by you yelling. I have driven before, but silent and only 4 - 6 hunters. Usually try to do it when we think the area is empty of other hunters. Personnely I don't like big drives.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Michaux Hunter said:
70 or 100 or 300 yerds into the woods what does it matter. From my experience observing drives in the Michaux forest area ( Michaux Road or the new Chambersburg Reservoir) over the past many years is that those hunters don't have much respect for the hunters that have already been in the woods before sunrise. They just start shooting when they see brown and then try to figure it out at the end of the drive IMO. Sounds like that is what took place on Saturday in 2 seperate areas of Michaux. In the area I was hunting it started at 7am. You can get rewarded from them, but most of the time they just walk by you yelling. I have driven before, but silent and only 4 - 6 hunters. Usually try to do it when we think the area is empty of other hunters. Personnely I don't like big drives.
I don't like the large drives either but the hunter vs hunter attitude is a loosing situation for everyone. What I heard from the original poster is the typical driving tactics of a large organized drive. I hate getting caught up in them but I just go the other way... Or turn and hope they run a deer my way then go someplace else. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
sorry bootmud but condoning unloading rifle after rifle at bounding , not trotting but absolutely bounding deer at any range through brush is a loosing situation for hunters as well.

My problem lies with the fact that you KNOW these hunters are offen unloading on different deer in the herd hoping to hit one. Then if there are multiple deer dead, I'm sure the gang starts figuring out whose tag to use. It's as simple and realistic as that, and no, I don't give them the benefit of the doubt. Seen and heard too much to be naive.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Shooting at running deer, in thick stuff, HOPING to connect, is, the sign of an unethical hunter. Period.

I'm with you Wampire. To many guys thro lead, never checking for blood. Makes me sick.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Dutch said:
Shooting at running deer, in thick stuff, HOPING to connect, is, the sign of an unethical hunter. Period.

I'm with you Wampire. To many guys thro lead, never checking for blood. Makes me sick.

x2

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know its public land and you can hunt it however you want but respect for other hunters should come into play. I dont even like to move because I dont want to get in others way.

Knowing there was going to be a drive I would have gotten farther away.

I strongly agree that there are guys that are just slinging lead all over. Let the dust settle that see how they made out. IF I dont know aht I can make a clean kill with one shot I do not pull the trigger. Just because your gun will fire does not mean you have to. They are probably the same guys complainng they are not seeing enough deer!!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
the last year my family hunted together and drove deer the last drive we ran out 5 bucks on one drive and shot 3 of them , we only had 8 people silent drive only making enough noise to stay in line . 2 bucks were shot by the drivers

1 - 20 of 35 Posts