The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best gamelands or public park open to deer hunting in your opinion in PA. I am thinking of doing a week hunt somewhere totally new. Camping at a campground and hunting the public land. Looking to do that say the first week of archery.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Not sure of the Game Lands number , but it is off Route 349 between Gaines and Westfield , Pa . Between Routes 6 and 49. There is campgrounds and motels nearby, along with restaurants and grocery stores. But get reservations in early at local motels, they book up early or they use to from what I hear, But that was years ago. Not sure about the campgrounds though. We have our own camp, that we stay at a little further west of it. Good luck on your search . If I can be of any other help let me know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure of the Game Lands number , but it is off Route 349 between Gaines and Westfield , Pa . Between Routes 6 and 49. There is campgrounds and motels nearby, along with restaurants and grocery stores. But get reservations in early at local motels, they book up early or they use to from what I hear, But that was years ago. Not sure about the campgrounds though. We have our own camp, that we stay at a little further west of it. Good luck on your search . f I can be of any other help let me know .
That is nice spot, 208, and game lands 64 about 10 mins from there off phoenix run road Also close to cherry springs a lot of good hunting close by. There or allegany national forest

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
The Quehanna Wildlife Area in North Central Pennsylvania is the nicest game lands I have ever stepped foot on. Beautiful country with a endless amount of land to explore. Highly recommended that area.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
State Game Land # 208 and #64 both are several thousand acres in size. The camp below us was sold several years ago. The original owners were from the Liverpool area. They would have a gang come up in bear season and go down to the two game lands to hunt bear. They shot several down there over a several year period.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would have to think the ANF ranks up there with some of the best. It’s not an easy place to hunt but good deer numbers with some quality buck. You have the chance at taking a real giant too. The best part is how much area you have to hunt with easy access for the most part.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just my experience, but I find it tough to scout and hunt big woods during early season when all of the vegetation is still standing even with advance prep via Google Earth, topo maps, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My opinion would be to push the trip later into October. Camping in any kind of heat is terrible and the deer will be moving better later in the month. Doesn’t matter what piece of public you hunt it will be an awesome adventure. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How far from home?
I am in PA. Distance does not matter as I am thinking of camping somewhere close to where I will hunt. Just want a new challenge hunting public property that I have never been too. Figure archery is not as crowded. The ANF does interest me.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sw pa sure offers a ton of pubic lands, Gamelands 51 from which you can connect to Ohiopyle state park,from which you can connect into SG 111. With a smattering of Forbes state forest throw in

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not sure where to tell you to look at here in PA. I can you 2A is not worth it. There’s some public lands, but it’s all heavily hunted and there isn’t too much. I’ve noticed deer numbers dropping recently and very rarely do I get a picture of a “good” buck. I hear Ohio has over the counter non resident licenses and a lot of monster bucks!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I do early season hunts every year on public land but I choose to hunt Ohio, mainly because the season comes in late September and goes out in February and doesn't matter what day you hunt. If you are liberal on the days you can hunt, I would keep on eye on the weather and take off when you see an early season cold front. Nothing worse than planning an early season hunt and have the temps in the 80's or 90's. Hunting early season white acorns during a cold front while camping on public is about as good as it gets. When I get a little more time I'll probably do more public land hunts in Pa. in either Quehanna or ANF.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
All kinds of gameland and state forest lands around me, including right out my back door. You'd be welcome to put your camper in my ground for a week (fully self contained) , OR stay in my bunkhouse. No charge. Great country restaurant nearby. Bedford Co , near Breezewood. PM me with any questions and full details if interested

1 - 20 of 20 Posts