The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the site, currently hunting in North Carolina as i am a student here will be back for christmas break and this is my last year in college plan on moving back home. Just wondering if anyone has hunted Blue Marsh or French creek for deer, not looking for anyones secret spot just curious about the pressure and the size of the herd in those areas, any input would be awesome, really planning on doing some scouting and hunting there in the late season hopefully with some snow on the ground!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Blue Marsh gets heavy pressure from the start of Sm. Game right through(less during deer but not much as it's a before/after work spot for many). There are spots that don't get as much, most of the deer get pushed to private property bordering though. We used to do some drives over there just before and after HR started and we got a few but that crew broke up so haven't done that in awhile. There are No Hunting Zones on some of the ACOE lands get map at office.

French Creek is in 5C not 5B - so you need 5C Doe tags(gone now) if you wanted to take a Doe there. There are also parts of French Creek that are within the SRA area so there are weapons restrictions(the park also has some additional rule both on where and with what you hunt ... check at office for those). I have not been down there much lately(worked in the area a few times late 80's and hit it then) but do not see the deer I used to during my icefishing trips down there that we used to(Of course the weather hasn't co-operated on that the past couple of winters LOL).

However I'm sure if you find an overlooked spot just like at Blue Marsh you might find some.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Never hunted Blue Marsh, but used to hunt French Creek(aka SGL 43) alot when I was younger. I stopped going there because it was just too crowded, especially during deer season. Its just not worth it to me to go there only to see a pumpkin patch of orange when the sun comes up.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Alen,if you can I would head northwest.The public land in 5B is very crowded with few deer.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Alen,if you can I would head northwest.The public land in 5B is very crowded with few deer.
Or, try to find some private land from which to hunt in 5B. Will more than likely be more deer plus less hunters. BTW - come to think of it, If not mistaken, French Creek is in 5C.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Codorus State Park is great for opening day of late season. Archery only areas. Flintlock areas. Got quite a few deer there opening day before heading back west. Pinchot Park has some nice lands also.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
tons of pressure around BM. I had a private farm close and it was phenomenal for rifle. Loaded with deer. Lost it a few years back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts