The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 6, 2019
I just got done with class and headed out to the woods around 1. I was headed to a piece of SGL about 20 mins from campus. I had a few nice bucks on camera in the area in the earlier part of the season but I wanted to stay out of there until November.

I was confident the spot would produce a buck if I was patient. The set just made sense for a November hunt. I had bedding about 100-200 yards in front of me with a strip of marsh that came down to my right. I was hoping to catch something cruising the edge of that marsh and headed to the thick stuff.

The afternoon was slow. I hadn't seen a deer yet but I knew it could happen at any second. The spot is really thick so I knew that it would be one of those deals where you look up and there's a deer standing right in front of ya. Sure enough, 4:15 I hear some water splashing to my right. I look up and he's standing at 25 yards and headed straight for the tree. I managed to gather myself enough to get stood up with my bow in hand and prepare for a shot. The buck started working to my left where it was about to get really thick. I stopped him at 14 yards and and found a hole to send an arrow through. The arrow hit the deer a little higher than I was hoping. He took off and ran about 80 yards before I lost sight of him.

I got down and checked my arrow and it looked good. It was soaked in blood and there was some white hair so I figured the angle was steep enough that the exit hole was pretty low. I backed out to go get some of my college buddies and some more lights. We headed back in a little after 7 and got on the trail. He bled like a pig for 100 yards and then completely dried up. I shined the light down the hill and there he layed. The last 20 yards there wasn't a drop of blood.

I'm really grateful for some of the friends I have that were willing to help drag him out. I never would've been able to do it myself! It's been an awesome journey figuring out these new pieces of unfamiliar land and still being able to wrap a tag around a good buck while I'm at school.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good story. Great deer! Even more admirable is that you managed it while attending college. Lots of moving pieces there. Great job all around!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
That there is a really nice Buck, Congrats and thanks for sharing your hunting adventure with us. Good Luck with your college education as well....

·
Registered
18,788 Posts
Great job Bud! Public land and while at college. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Very awesome! And like others said, while in college... I took a break from bowhunting in college and regret it.

Congrats

·
Registered
289 Posts
Reminds me of college days in Mansfield when we were army surplus WW II and Vietnam tiger strips camo! Congrats!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts