The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
They Don’t NEED the extra game!!! They want the extra game.
Most big time college football programs pay for all the other programs at there school.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This is Penn st and they got who they want as a coach. They gave him this contract to keep him from the other schools that wanted him as a coach.

I don't like his style, I don't like the changing of plays from the side line when everyone goes down and than stands and looks at the side line. I don't like the speed at which he chooses to run plays. But he has the job and gets paid and I pay to go watch him do his job.
Player development is among the best in college today. He don't get the cream of the national high school crop year in and year out. Yet. He recruits well and develops players into teams.
Most solid programs lose assistant coaches. Other teams want a piece of the pie. Look at NE pats. Good assistants from good teams often get poached. His players are moving to the NFL before 4 years in the so called non skill positions. How he restocked the O line this past season is a tribute to good coaching up and down the line of coaches. It also points to a successful player development system where rebuild years win 10 games. Waugh!
He was USC's #1 choice until the new AD and the Board of Trustees out there decided they did not want to cough up 8 million for the current coaches buyout and pay CJF the 6-7 million a year he got. He also interviewed for the Florida State job, although it was an informal chat. FSU went to Giant Stadium to see Franklin the Sunday after PSU beat Rutgers in the home finale. Franklin was a guest of Saqoun Barkely and FSU flew up to have a talk. So, as BAD as a coach he is, 2 other schools with unreal football reputations thought enough of him.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
They Don’t NEED the extra game!!! They want the extra game.
Most big time college football programs pay for all the other programs at there school.
No kidding! Wow, I never knew that. So now, it's not only Franklin you hate, it is PSU scheduling as well. Wow. So not only does Franklin suck but he needs to win the Big Ten Title, the College football playoff, and he has to play 3 ranked teams in non-conference and they should all be on the road. But I guess you have no issues with Alabama playing Duke, The Citadel, and mighty Alabama Birmingham. Check out LSU's non conference schedule. Dude, you are an idiot. Welcome to the ignore function. Moron

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Then how does Villanova field a soccer team?
My guess...Villanova basketball pays for it. At PSU, Football, Men's Basketball, and Wrestling are the only sports at the University that have made money in the past 5 years. In fact, PSU men's basketball did not show a profit until 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My guess...Villanova basketball pays for it. At PSU, Football, Men's Basketball, and Wrestling are the only sports at the University that have made money in the past 5 years. In fact, PSU men's basketball did not show a profit until 2 years ago.

There are lots of univerisities that don't make a profit on either football or basketball and yet still have soccer, gymnastics swimming etc.

Temple has soccer and I don't believe for one second either their football or basketball are making ANY money.

I don't fault PSU for scheduling the way they do, just the rhetoric surrounding it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There are lots of univerisities that don't make a profit on either football or basketball and yet still have soccer, gymnastics swimming etc.

Temple has soccer and I don't believe for one second either their football or basketball are making ANY money.

I don't fault PSU for scheduling the way they do, just the rhetoric surrounding it.
You ever been in State College on a football weekend? You would know why they want that 7th home game. Check out Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma football schedules for 2020. They all play SEVEN games in their own stadiums.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You ever been in State College on a football weekend? You would know why they want that 7th home game. Check out Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma football schedules for 2020. They all play SEVEN games in their own stadiums.

I get it. Need vs want are two different things though. As I said, I don't fault any of them for doing it.

Reactions: irishxc

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I get it. Need vs want are two different things though. As I said, I don't fault any of them for doing it.
But as a business owner, when you have had 7 weekends every fall for the past 40 years with 108k fans in your town, you probably don't know what you would do if you only had 6. I am sure they would not go belly up, but it's just something you got used to.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Penn State needs to add one or two more quality teams to their schedule...the lack luster schedule always seems to hurt them in the rankings.

Does not hurt Alabama or other SEC teams. Check who they play and the records. They all play soft teams from time to time. The preseason rankings and mid season rankings always hurt the big 10. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yeah they thought a lot of Moorhead at MS!
Those coordinaters are really setting the college football game on fire😳.
You know the difference between Franklin and Savanna??? A whole bunch of National championships!
It was at one time that a coach had to win national championship to be lauded and compensated. Now hey he’s the man when because he wins 8-10 games a year. Only thing that counts and is remembered is championships.

I didn’t say I wanted coach richt. Just saying he was going to be remembered for losing the big game all the time!

Franklin hasn’t won anything yet! Oh one big ten title. Who cares. I wish Pry would have taken the job cause I think he sucks too.

This coming year is suppose to be their year!!! We will see!

Again if Franklin wins it I’ll be happy about it. Time will tell!

You seem to be making a case for Franklin being a great coach if he could win double digit games in a season with poor assistants. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
But as a business owner, when you have had 7 weekends every fall for the past 40 years with 108k fans in your town, you probably don't know what you would do if you only had 6. I am sure they would not go belly up, but it's just something you got used to.

They haven't had 7 for 40 years. First year I pulled up was 1988 and it was 6. They built up to 'needing' it. As I said I get it. The only thing I don't like about it is the rhetoric of 'needing' it.

There are plenty of universities that fund Olympic sports without 108,000 seats and 7 home games.

"Needing" 7 home games to fund the other sports as if the goal is something 'nobler' than making money. It's not.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The reason the Big east did not become a thing sooner is because Paterno wanted more home and home games when it was his idea to make a major conference out of the mostly independent and small conference teams. It is also the reason they are next to nothing in football now. It is also the reason many of those teams joined a big conference after PSU decided to and was accepted into the big 10. Paterno wanted the extra games to fund PSU minor sports and to support the new conference. Schools balked and the rest is history. PSU was going to build a larger stadium even before the big 10. Many of the schools invited to make the conference were big in basketball not in football. Some were both and PSU was not big in basketball. The schools did not want to give up the basketball money. The Big 10 forced PSU to improve the basketball program.

Home games are one thing to a big program and another to a smaller program. Smaller teams playing on the road make more money playing on the road than at home. Stadium size does matter. A larger program playing on the road in a smaller market takes a large pay cut as does the league. It is not all about greed or need but it is often just good business practices. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Paterno wanted to form an all eastern football conference that would be able to market exclusive television deals and offer revenue sharing between members, as well as make scheduling a little less cumbersome by instituting a number of set games between schools that were largely already playing each other anyway.
Paterno tried to get Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Temple, Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College to go in on the idea with him, but they ultimately left Paterno and Penn State hanging.
Some will suggest that these schools did not want to be a part of a football conference that would be routinely dominated by Penn State, while others will say it was a good idea but needed more security for other sports.
The Big East eventually was formed under a similar structure to Paterno's idea, and Penn State was left out of the mix. When Penn State attempted to join, the conference turned their back on the school largely due to the state of Penn State's basketball program, a sticking point that was not a hassle when Miami applied for membership a few years later.
Paterno felt betrayed, but Penn State was already preparing to move in to the Big Ten. To this day, some Penn State fans feel out of place and believe Penn State should have been in the Big East all along. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The reason the Big east did not become a thing sooner is because Paterno wanted more home and home games when it was his idea to make a major conference out of the mostly independent and small conference teams. It is also the reason they are next to nothing in football now. It is also the reason many of those teams joined a big conference after PSU decided to and was accepted into the big 10. Paterno wanted the extra games to fund PSU minor sports and to support the new conference. Schools balked and the rest is history. PSU was going to build a larger stadium even before the big 10. Many of the schools invited to make the conference were big in basketball not in football. Some were both and PSU was not big in basketball. The schools did not want to give up the basketball money. The Big 10 forced PSU to improve the basketball program.

Home games are one thing to a big program and another to a smaller program. Smaller teams playing on the road make more money playing on the road than at home. Stadium size does matter. A larger program playing on the road in a smaller market takes a large pay cut as does the league. It is not all about greed or need but it is often just good business practices. Waugh!
Exactly right. Idaho came into PSU last fall and got greased pretty good. They also walked away with a check that payed for all their non-revenue making Olympic sports for the entire year. Plus, a school like Idaho, next year Kent St and San Jose St, does not have to share any of that revenue with the other teams in their conferences. It's all their money.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
They haven't had 7 for 40 years. First year I pulled up was 1988 and it was 6. They built up to 'needing' it. As I said I get it. The only thing I don't like about it is the rhetoric of 'needing' it.

There are plenty of universities that fund Olympic sports without 108,000 seats and 7 home games.

"Needing" 7 home games to fund the other sports as if the goal is something 'nobler' than making money. It's not.
Sorry, 32 years, not 40. And where did I say this was a "noble" cause. Of course it is about money, what isn't. Being a season ticket holder I love it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
You seem to be making a case for Franklin being a great coach if he could win double digit games in a season with poor assistants. Waugh!
Bingo! Franklin sucks, the OC's suck, and the defensive coordinator sucks, plus PSU home schedule is dog crap. Yet, somehow Franklin has won 42 games in the past 4 years. Some PSU fan!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Paterno wanted to form an all eastern football conference that would be able to market exclusive television deals and offer revenue sharing between members, as well as make scheduling a little less cumbersome by instituting a number of set games between schools that were largely already playing each other anyway.
Paterno tried to get Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Temple, Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College to go in on the idea with him, but they ultimately left Paterno and Penn State hanging.
Some will suggest that these schools did not want to be a part of a football conference that would be routinely dominated by Penn State, while others will say it was a good idea but needed more security for other sports.
The Big East eventually was formed under a similar structure to Paterno's idea, and Penn State was left out of the mix. When Penn State attempted to join, the conference turned their back on the school largely due to the state of Penn State's basketball program, a sticking point that was not a hassle when Miami applied for membership a few years later.
Paterno felt betrayed, but Penn State was already preparing to move in to the Big Ten. To this day, some Penn State fans feel out of place and believe Penn State should have been in the Big East all along. Waugh!
I wish it would have happened. I hate the Big Ten. I actually call it the Big2 because OSU and Michigan is all this conference cares about. Proof of this is a few years back when PSU won the Big Ten and Dealny, the commissioner(and an ahole) publically pushed for OSU to get into the playoff. Even though PSU beat them head to head. I wish PSU had gone into the ACC.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

He was Po'd because his idea was all universities keep football revenues and share all other sports revenues. Syracuse was the first to say no. Pitt was next. Cuse and Paterno were never going to repair that relationship. Pitt may have but needed the basketball revenue that came with the Eastern 8 first. Then the Big East. By that time PSU could not give up the football revenue.

Yes, 32 years but much more in history. The 2 and 1 thing is still in some of my PSU friends craw but PSU made more money at the time when they came to Pitt.

Did PSU go to 7 home games after joining Big Ten?

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Syracuse and the Paterno family go way back and Mrs Paterno was and may still be a major contributor to that school. It was Pitt that backed down causing fla St to follow.

Pitt and Penn State were absolutely, positively not in the same camp and that's what undid the whole thing. That is also how Pitt ended up in the Big East – to block Penn State – and it is why Paterno ended a 100-year-old football series to stick it to Pitt. Pitt started the rumor about Paterno wanting to keep football money and sharing on basketball and other sports money. It was never true. Paterno wanted a eastern football conference. So he could build credit to reach a title. He had undefeated seasons 3 times and was denied the national title because he was not in a league so he had no league titles. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Still happening to Penn st today with all the preseason polls. If you are not pre season top 15 and win your conference they look at the preseason polls and say you did not play anyone. The SEC has 3 or 4 teams in the preseason polls top 15 and if you beat one you beat a ranked team. If you lose to a ranked team you don't fall far and can still make the playoff as a 1 loss team over a no loss team. They said it was because they did not want to take two teams from one conference into the four team playoff when they took Ohio st over the champion Penn st. Again this was based on pre season rankings, based on what the coaches and sports writers dreamed up before even a game was played. But than the next two years they did take two teams from a conference. I guess it was just convenient. It fit the preseason thinking. Waugh!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts