The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PSU must want to keep James Franklin around for a few more years.
Not bad money plus some sweet incentive money and perks to boot, but they didnt throw in a house:grin2:

https://6abc.com/sports/james-franklins-new-penn-state-contract-worth-up-to-$382m/5969023/

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I bet he doesn’t ever play in a National championship game!!!
He hasn’t been a contender yet!

Yes he was a contender and they took Ohio st over his Big 10 championship team to play. Taking the 3rd place team over the champion is just pure politics and not sportsmanship. You play the season to see who represents the league. Does the NFL or any other league take the wild card and leave the champion out of the playoffs? Waugh!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes he was a contender and they took Ohio st over his Big 10 championship team to play. Taking the 3rd place team over the champion is just pure politics and not sportsmanship. You play the season to see who represents the league. Does the NFL or any other league take the wild card and leave the champion out of

They weren’t a contender!!!

He won’t be in the NC game by the time this contract is up!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes he was a contender and they took Ohio st over his Big 10 championship team to play. Taking the 3rd place team over the champion is just pure politics and not sportsmanship. You play the season to see who represents the league. Does the NFL or any other league take the wild card and leave the champion out of the playoffs? Waugh!
Didn’t he have 2 losses that year? Pittsburgh and I can’t think of the other. Probably why they picked OSU.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State are the only four teams in the country that have more wins than Franklin in the past 5 years. Last time PSU played for a NC was 1986. People are seriously nuts. I always ask..gimme a name. Who would be better? 3 New Years 6 Bowls, a Big Ten Tiltle, near 100% graduation rate and his kids almost never are in the news. I will take CJF any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Not bad money plus some sweet incentive money and perks to boot, but they didnt throw in a house:grin2:

https://6abc.com/sports/james-franklins-new-penn-state-contract-worth-up-to-$382m/5969023/
Not to mention more $$$ for assistants and an upgrade in training facilities.

·
Premium Member
23,604 Posts

Yep....worth every bit of it!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
680 Posts
11 wins in 3 of the last 4 seasons. I think that Sweeney at Clemson and Saban at Alabama are the only other 2 coaches in the entire country who can say that.
Yep zero national championships and zero playoffs.

Usually finds a way to lose a game or 2 every year that is really from questionable game management and play calls!

I like Mark Richt as a coach but always loses the big game. He can’t win when it counts.

Franklin is not even that good!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree. Best way to bring out the haters is to be successful. Those that hate are jealous of success. Everyone doesn't like everyone else, but come on, look at the numbers. Loose Franklin and you could spend decades trying to get the right guy again.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I agree. Best way to bring out the haters is to be successful. Those that hate are jealous of success. Everyone doesn't like everyone else, but come on, look at the numbers. Loose Franklin and you could spend decades trying to get the right guy again.
I just don’t think he is the right guy!!! I don’t think he is a good coach a good football guy.
I hate the style of football he likes. I don’t like his play calls , his game management, his player development. He has had 3 offensive coordinators now. This guy may change somethings but I doubt it. This is Penn State!!! They can get who they want for a coach. This isn’t Vanderbilt. I don’t think we would be searching long for a better coach! But he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. So we will see. If he wins a championship I’ll be happy for him.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yep zero national championships and zero playoffs.

Usually finds a way to lose a game or 2 every year that is really from questionable game management and play calls!

I like Mark Richt as a coach but always loses the big game. He can’t win when it counts.

Franklin is not even that good!
PSU lost 2 games last year. The 2 teams they lost to won 12 games each. One team was in the playoffs and the other team played in a New Years 6 bowl and smoked the 2nd best team in the SEC. So, I guess there should be alot of coaching openings because your team can't beat Ohio State. Mark Richt has retired, so I doubt he would be available. And he could not win big games at 2 schools were he had unlimited resources in terms of recruiting and getting players into school that PSU would not even be able to look at. Franklin WON at Vanderbilt. Name another coach that can say they won there. The only game Minny lost was to Iowa at Iowa. PSU beat Iowa in their own stadium. Iowa also won ten games last year. As far as game management, I guess your years of being a coach on the field allows you to make those kind of statements. I never coached football so I can't make such a statement. Did you coach high school or college?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I just don’t think he is the right guy!!! I don’t think he is a good coach a good football guy.
I hate the style of football he likes. I don’t like his play calls , his game management, his player development. He has had 3 offensive coordinators now. This guy may change somethings but I doubt it. This is Penn State!!! They can get who they want for a coach. This isn’t Vanderbilt. I don’t think we would be searching long for a better coach! But he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. So we will see. If he wins a championship I’ll be happy for him.
He has had 3 offensive coordinators because he had to hire new ones! The 3 coordinators Donavan, Morehead, Rahne are all at other Division 1 schools because those programs thought so highly of them that they hired them away from PSU. Alabama took the PSU defensive back coach a couple years ago. Good coaches lose coordinators! Brent Pry, the PSU defensive coordinator just recently turned down the Michigan State HEAD COACHING position. Saban loses coordinators all the time...by your logic he must suck. Name me a team that goes 2-10 most years that lose coordinators to other schools. Wow.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts

This is Penn st and they got who they want as a coach. They gave him this contract to keep him from the other schools that wanted him as a coach.

I don't like his style, I don't like the changing of plays from the side line when everyone goes down and than stands and looks at the side line. I don't like the speed at which he chooses to run plays. But he has the job and gets paid and I pay to go watch him do his job.
Player development is among the best in college today. He don't get the cream of the national high school crop year in and year out. Yet. He recruits well and develops players into teams.
Most solid programs lose assistant coaches. Other teams want a piece of the pie. Look at NE pats. Good assistants from good teams often get poached. His players are moving to the NFL before 4 years in the so called non skill positions. How he restocked the O line this past season is a tribute to good coaching up and down the line of coaches. It also points to a successful player development system where rebuild years win 10 games. Waugh!

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Penn State needs to add one or two more quality teams to their schedule...the lack luster schedule always seems to hurt them in the rankings.

·
Registered
680 Posts
He has had 3 offensive coordinators because he had to hire new ones! The 3 coordinators Donavan, Morehead, Rahne are all at other Division 1 schools because those programs thought so highly of them that they hired them away from PSU. Alabama took the PSU defensive back coach a couple years ago. Good coaches lose coordinators! Brent Pry, the PSU defensive coordinator just recently turned down the Michigan State HEAD COACHING position. Saban loses coordinators all the time...by your logic he must suck. Name me a team that goes 2-10 most years that lose coordinators to other schools. Wow.
Yeah they thought a lot of Moorhead at MS!
Those coordinaters are really setting the college football game on fire😳.
You know the difference between Franklin and Savanna??? A whole bunch of National championships!
It was at one time that a coach had to win national championship to be lauded and compensated. Now hey he’s the man when because he wins 8-10 games a year. Only thing that counts and is remembered is championships.

I didn’t say I wanted coach richt. Just saying he was going to be remembered for losing the big game all the time!

Franklin hasn’t won anything yet! Oh one big ten title. Who cares. I wish Pry would have taken the job cause I think he sucks too.

This coming year is suppose to be their year!!! We will see!

Again if Franklin wins it I’ll be happy about it. Time will tell!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Penn State needs to add one or two more quality teams to their schedule...the lack luster schedule always seems to hurt them in the rankings.
They play at Virginia Tech this year. They have Auburn next year. What people don't understand is that PSU needs to have 7 home games every year. This year with the Big Ten schedule they have 5 conference games at home. So that allows them to have 2 non-conference games at home. Next year they have 4 conference games at home which means they gotta have all 3 non conf games at Beaver Stadium. It has been very difficult for PSU to find teams that are willing to play 2 games at PSU and one game at their place. So, what you get is a team like Idaho willing to come to PSU, get a million dollar check and have PSU beat them by a hundred. As a donor to the university, and ties to some influential people in the athletic department, the Chamber of Commerce in State College has alot to say about PSU football. Those businesses in town need that extra home game. As do the other sports at PSU that the football team pays for. When PSU soccer goes to Iowa for a game, PSU football is paying the freight.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
They play at Virginia Tech this year. They have Auburn next year. What people don't understand is that PSU needs to have 7 home games every year. This year with the Big Ten schedule they have 5 conference games at home. So that allows them to have 2 non-conference games at home. Next year they have 4 conference games at home which means they gotta have all 3 non conf games at Beaver Stadium. It has been very difficult for PSU to find teams that are willing to play 2 games at PSU and one game at their place. So, what you get is a team like Idaho willing to come to PSU, get a million dollar check and have PSU beat them by a hundred. As a donor to the university, and ties to some influential people in the athletic department, the Chamber of Commerce in State College has alot to say about PSU football. Those businesses in town need that extra home game. As do the other sports at PSU that the football team pays for. When PSU soccer goes to Iowa for a game, PSU football is paying the freight.

Then how does Villanova field a soccer team?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts