The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't I have my gun check from state police done before I decide what gun to buy ? I guess what I'm getting at is why do they need the serial numbers, make of gun off of a brand new firearm from a ffl gun dealer .

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "my gun check from state police". The NICS check is on "you" (no serial number given) and it is conducted by the FBI not the state police.

The info retained by the state police is a verification that that particular gun (serial number) was in fact sold to an individual that was qualified to purchase a gun (NICS check number by FBI). This is our states way of verifying FFLs did follow procedure by in fact performing the required NICS on that serial number. It matches a serial number to an NICS number.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i am also sure it is illegal for the state police to retain the info from a long gun purchas for more than 10 days then it must be removed from thier database, thereforethe PSP can not keep records of who owns what guns and how many

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The State Police decide whether you are allowed to purchase a gun at the dealer.If you are not allowed then they will come pick you up..

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
PA does not actually use NICS, although that's the database they refer to. We use PICS here and it's done by PSP (PSP employees, actually). If we used NICS like other states do, we wouldn't have the extra PICS fee to pay.

And yes, PSP retains the data on each firearm, which originally started as handgun sales data, despite a law to the contrary. ACSL and others, took this to the state supreme court, but that court upheld PSP retaining the sales data several years ago.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The PSP does keep info that they are supposed to discard, they were sued several years ago for it and won the suit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i have read this posting and some here have made errors. when the phone call is made the operator at pics has NO idea what is being bought. the federal form, now five pages long, does not leave the shop unless shop closes. the state never finds out about long gun serial numbers. handguns are another story. the second form is a state police form. it is sent to the state police on a regular basis. it has make, type, caliber, barrel length , and serial number on it. the state police are "required" to destroy this form/information after a set period. do they???? the first question on this thread is why can't i do a check before i buy? state law!!! p.s. don't yell at the person doing the check. he/she is only doing what the feds/state requires. plus if you fail at one shop don't bother to try somewhere else as the same place approves/denies the purchase. a sidelight to this is if the clerk tells you the system is down, it is down STATEWIDE. save time and miles, don't try down the road to see if it is working at another shop.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you are really asking '' I may not pass the back ground check so I want to get it done before I try to buy'' then you need to see an attorney.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts