The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have two PSA 5.56 rifles and a close friend has a 5.56 pistol and the PA-10 .308. All go bang when you pull the trigger, handle and cycle well and are reasonably accurate. With any PSA gun, I'll spend extra for the enhanced polished trigger (EPT). It's worth the extra few bucks over a standard trigger, unless you plan to install an aftermarket trigger group.

·
Registered
16,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still on the fence also thinking 9mm. there was a guy at the range last month with a 5.56 pistol making hits on a silhouette at 200 yards with open sights...10 outta 10
it wasnt that loud with ear muffs on but i bet it would really ring your brain with out them.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
As you've realized, 5.56 pistols aren't worth the shortfalls...
When it comes to 9mm vs 300BLK ARs, I'll take the 300BLK every time.
With the 300, you can use subs and have basically a much flatter shooting 45ACP in terms of performance (even better with some of Lehigh expanding bullets) or load up supers that are basically a much flatter-shooting 30-30 in terms of performance.
With the 9mm, you're still shooting a 9mm.
Given the option of 33 rounds of 9mm vs 30 rounds of 30-30 to sling at an aggressor or aggressors, from the same sized platform with comparable recoil, which would you want in the fight?
Or, if the day ever comes they can be used in deer season? (ignoring mag capacity, lol)

EDIT: as for PSA, I own several of their rifles and pistols, all have been 100% reliable and accurate. One pistol kit did need a little extra attention from me, as the rail wasn't quite tightened down properly on the upper. Shifted ever-so-slightly during the first range trip. 15 seconds with an allen wrench solved that. And DEFINITELY spring for the EPT trigger if you're not dropping an aftermarket in it. Worlds better than stock milspec. But when Larue is offering their MBT triggers for $87, it's really hard not grab one.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
what about the muzzle blast on a 300 blk ?
Not bad at all. It's a lower-pressure round even when running supers. Subs without a can sound like an unsuppressed 45 1911 to me. Same "blast".
Supers will blow more gas, obviously, but it's not teeth-rattling and jarring like a short 5.56. I'd say it's no worse than shooting a 20" 5.56 or an 18" 30-30.
I've hunted with my blackout pistol out of state, using supers (Barnes VorTX 110gr) prior to owning a 30cal can, and in the field the report is indistinguishable from a 30-30.. perhaps ever-so-slightly softer.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If your ok with the ammo price, I'd definitely go 300bo over the 9. There is more versatility an definitely better performance. In addition you can swap uppers or barrels on uppers an go between calibers. With so many choices on ammo you can find a fair priced option on BO ammo caveat being availability, which at this point is very hit an miss.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
hard to find any in bulk quantity like ya can in 5.56 or 9mm
Wolf and Tula are both coming out with bulk 300BLK very soon.
Prior to the panics, prices on “Plinker” grade ammo was starting to come down.
there were even a few deals to be found on hunting/defensive ammo too... some of Sig’s lines were really reasonable.
But reloading is where it’s at.
5.56/.223 brass and a $30Harbor Freight case cutter and you’ve got all the brass you’ll ever need.
Plenty of good bullet options available now that match the performance envelopes for subs and supers, though when it comes
to supers, I stocked deep in VorTX thanks to a stack of Cabela’s gift cards, and Sig’s VorTX clone when PSA had them on sale.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Wolf and Tula are both coming out with bulk 300BLK very soon.
Prior to the panics, prices on “Plinker” grade ammo was starting to come down.
there were even a few deals to be found on hunting/defensive ammo too... some of Sig’s lines were really reasonable.
But reloading is where it’s at.
5.56/.223 brass and a $30Harbor Freight case cutter and you’ve got all the brass you’ll ever need.
Plenty of good bullet options available now that match the performance envelopes for subs and supers, though when it comes
to supers, I stocked deep in VorTX thanks to a stack of Cabela’s gift cards, and Sig’s VorTX clone when PSA had them on sale.
I make all my brass too! Easy Peezy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts