The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Prove me wrong #1, 280 Is PA's king

9K views 66 replies 48 participants last post by  mauser06 
#1 ·
Guys, gonna try something a bit different here!! Saw this on Field and Stream a few years back and it made for some interesting reading to pass the time.

I'm gonna make the innagural "prove me wrong" post and you guys get to either agree or shoot it down in flames. Keep it fun.

The person who presents the best argument for or against will be chosen by the OP to pose the next "prove me wrong" opinion or argument!!

lets get started!! I find the 280 Rem hard to beat as the ideal caliber for PA big game hunting. It may lack the popularity of the 270 or 30-06 but it lacks nothing in comparing performance. Bullet choices from 100-175 grains enable it to be used for a variety of tasks. A 139-140 BTSP for whitetails or a 140 partition for PA Elk or Bear is hard to beat in my opinion!!

#2 ·
I agree that is without a doubt a great caliber and a true do it all for PA. When my son was 11 I bought him a 280 for his first big game rifle knowing I could load it down or up as he grew and depending what he was hunting. Unfortunately I can't say it is KING, due only to the fact that if you are not a hand loader, it can be more difficult than 30-06, 270, or 30-30, to find a wide range of loads in "big box" stores. (China-Mart, K-mart, ect..)

#3 ·
Good way to get the guys chirping over calibers. I have a .280, a .270 and an .06. I have never got anything with the .270 or .280 but feel very comfortable with them as far as range and power. When I really want to be sure of taking my King for Pa., I take my .300 Win mag.

#5 ·
The 308 is far superior in every way except for the "different" factor.

Below are a few examples:

1. The 308 is a short action allowing a lighter and stiffer action.

2. The 308 is available in a wider range of factory loads as well as bullets for handloading.

3. The 308 is "inherently" more accurate, I've been told.

4. Ammunition is cheaper.

5. Ammuntion is far easier to find.

6. The 308 is available in just about every model that a .280 is, plus a lot more.

That said, I have never owned a 308, just think it's an all around good gun for PA, and offers alot. We as gun nuts, tend to overthink things more than required. We are just talking about whitetail and black bear. Any reasonable cartridge pushing a reasonable bullet through the slats, results in a dead critter.

#7 ·
One of my favorites, love it. Sadly, its never going to be king, too many hamstrings on it. I have a supply of the old Hornady Light Magnum factory loads. They chrono 100 fps behind my 7 mag with the same bullet, and my 280 Mtn. rifle weighs 2 and a half pounds less. You couln't ask for more from a deer rifle.

#9 ·
Used a few different cal. bought a .280 Rem. in 1994 & have never looked backed. For Pa. there is nothing better. As for ammo the 139gr. or the140 is all you need & readily available in factory loads, prices may be higher then other more popular cal., but hey the best is worth it. I went to Wy. this year & the .280 is what I took, with me, anchored a pronghorn at 267yds.& a Mulie at just under 200yds.

#11 ·
Although I love the 280, I don't think you could call it king. Between 2 name changes since its commercial intro, lack of availability and lower SAAMI pressures due to pump rifles, the caliber never achieved what it should have. I have a 140gr accubond load and 160gr accubond load that shoot the exact same POA (at 100 yds) without adjustments. The 160gr load rivals the 7mm Rem Mag with the same bullet. The 140gr load can handle anything in P.A. I would not hesitate to use the 160gr load on anything in the 50 states.

#12 ·
I have to agree with the other poster shooting a .308. Ammo is found in every walmart and most gun shops in pa. Behind the .308 would be a 30-06. Both of those calibers are the biggest ones you here at gun clubs and hunting shops.

#19 ·
The 280 Rem. is a fine cartridge especially for the handloader and from a performance standpoint but it's not very popular and never will be. Factory ammo is expensive,hard to find and not many loads to select from. Also very few factory rifles are chambered for it. Even new brass for handloaders is more expensive than more popular calibers. The 270 Win. and 30/06 are tied for my vote for Pa's King.

#22 ·
280 is a great caliber but the 270 beats it for price and availability of ammo. you can walk into any gun shop in PA and find 130 grain corelokts and hunt anything in PA with them. performance is a wash. both great calibers.
when i pick the "best" caliber for a new person, i usually pick the 308 but the 270 is next followed by 30/06. it all comes down to gun choice and ammo availability and cost.

#23 ·
When I was looking for a standard caliber I looked at the 06, 270, 280, and decided on the 280 and I was not disapointed. I think it is deffinatly better than the 270 and i just liked it better then the 06. Super accurate I have to agree with you on this one. although not king

#24 ·
rflktrman said:
Good way to get the guys chirping over calibers. I have a .280, a .270 and an .06. I have never got anything with the .270 or .280 but feel very comfortable with them as far as range and power. When I really want to be sure of taking my King for Pa., I take my .300 Win mag.
i agree. i have my trusty 06 but i have been using my 300 win mag for the last 5 yrs

#25 ·
No I don't feel the .280 is king in PA. It is hard to find ammo over 150 grains for the .280 and I'd rather shoot 150's out of the .270 than the .280 (better SD) for all around PA hunting. I do agree the .30-06 is more than is needed in PA. A .270 seems about right to me though.

#26 ·
If 280 was king, everyone would have one and all the stores would carry it and ammo. 30-06 is king, 270 and 308 are a step behind, 280 isn't even close. I'm sure its a fun caliber to shoot. But there are so many 30-06's in the woods come deer and bear season, go to your box stores and they will have entire endcaps that are just 30-06 ammo. "aught six" is king. JMHO.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.