The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Lilly out today for the late season pheasant hunt. She was awesome! She had a number of nice points and found a wounded bird after a 350 yard track through a number of fields and ended under a pile of foxtail as she tried to dig the bird out. She is still showing improvement after six years. She seems to really have figured pheasants out. She tries to cut off running birds and works circles when she loses their trail. Had a blast today.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That's wonderful! I'm a latecomer to the setter world also, but I'm sure glad I finally took the plunge!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The setter world is a strange and wonderful place. I remember when I took my trial dog out huntng for the first time. Cadillac Jack had never hunted, or had a bird in his mouth at 8 years of age. I wing tipped his first bird and it glided down over a hill to my right. I was not sure what would happen but I tapped him on the head and off he went. A few minutes later I decided I had better check on him and headed in that direction. I looked up and here he came and brought the bird then came in and presented it like he had been doing it all his life. He loved it and was a really nice pheasant dog until he died last year!!
Enjoy them as the go all to quickly!!
Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Hey Buddy, them Setters have something in their temperament that gets to a mans soul, then his heart. Not every bird dog can learn how to successfully pin down running Roosters, congratulations my friend. It seems like Lilly has brains to to go along with her good looks, a lethal combination. Enjoy every moment with her. Like my signature says...It's breeding, training, and something unknown.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks for sharing Lynn. It was an inspirational read after a long week at work.

I am in love with setters after taking the plunge a year and a half ago. Man and Setter is like peanut butter and jelly.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Lynn,
Looks like you have adapted to the Setter world, congrats
to you and your hunting companion. My family has owned Ryman Setter sense before I was born, once you own one they become part of your family for the rest of your hunting life, at the very least. Love to hear a man talk proudly
about his Gun Dog, and pass on his pride to the next generation.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
knobmtn said:
Lyn,
Congratulations!! I never thought that I would hear you brag about a setter. A little work and a lot of birds plus a good dog and there you are.

Tom
Thanks to you Tom for your training help. The best thing I did was realize I was messing her up and decided to get some help from you.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Glad to hear that Lynn..I got out yesterday Dec 22 for the first time this year...been working 7 days a week since summer... Had someone almost shoot my dogs since it was on the ground and he did not see the dog..per his words.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts