The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Proud Father On a Day Trip

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  5forks 
#1 ·
I was out early today paying bills and doing errands and the boys were still asleep. Phone rang and Noah says, baseball practice is canceled today, can we go to the mountains and fish? No need to ask me twice!

Mom was working so the three of us get our gear and head to Meadow Run (been doing quite well there lately). We get into a few Trout and are moving about the creek. At one point I stopped, put my hook on my pole and just watched my two best buds doing what they love to do. I thanked God and my wife for giving me these two, healthy, strong, intelligent young men.

They were fly fishing and I was spinning with live bait. I have never fly fished and they pretty much taught themselves how to do it, with some help from my Dad and some classes and outings they have been to. The most recent being a week long outing at the Yellow Breeches. They called me over and said look at this. They showed me where some Stone Flies hatched and showed me where to look for them and how to use them.

That's when it hit me, my twin boys who, not long ago, were knee high to a grasshopper, fishing farm ponds and catching bluegills, driving the truck on my lap and running around naked are now 16, driving, growing up and teaching me things!

I thank God for my parents introducing my brother and I to the outdoors and the mountains and raising us the way they did. With all the evil, cruel and sick things going on in this crazy world, I am thankful to be able to go there and live "round 2" through them in the mountains I love, with the people I love and try to raise them the way I was raised.

I remember days of fishing and camping with my parents and brother and now we all enjoy outings at our camp together. I recall spending so much time with my best friend at his camp and running the same mountain that we still run together, but with our youngins.

To my Dad and all the Dad's in the HPA family Happy Father's Day.

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.