The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched from electric back up heat to a propane furnace. Everyone I talk to says buy your own tank? If so where can I purchuse one near reading pa?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
How big are you looking for?

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Why would you want to own it? I have Heller's and I wold rather use their stuff.
I started out with 2 tanks but around 4 years ago they changed policy and depending on my amount of usage they would only give me one tank unless I purchased it.
I use the gas only as a back-up heat source and for my hot water heater.
Using their tank they are responsible for its upkeep and repairs. There was no difference in price wither I owned it or not. Last winter the blocks they set it on deteriorated and let the tank tilt back onto the house, I called them up and they came out and reset on a AC unit base.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I was with Amerigas. They charged a $36 a year rental fee, x2, and a delivery fee. Bought my own tanks off of Craigslist for $75. Took me over a year just to use one tank full. Saving over $100 a year.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have a brand new 200# Manchester tank I'm looking to move - ASME rated - not DOT, which would need re-certified eventually - bought it through my cousin who was in the business when my company started charging me rental fees at about 20% the cost of buying the tank. I have another one for my use, and haven't used this one at all - brand new, in the wrapper, been purged - hook your regulator on and go. I'm about an hour and a half from you.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Birch812 said:
Why would you want to own it?
Buy your own tank. If you rent, you are at their mercy, and have to get gas from them...at THEIR price. I used to rent a tank. Little's Gas Service screwed me over for the last time when they charged me $4.65 a gallon in 2011, when others prices were in the $2.75-$3 range.

When I inquired about purchasing the tank from them, wanted me to pay darn near full price of a new one. Bought my own tank, a bud with a hoe put it in and now I can shop around for the BEST price on gas.

·
Registered
829 Posts
We have two 100 pound tanks (bought at lowes) and have them filled at a local store a few miles from our camp. For what the local propane company wanted to charge us to bring in their tank and charge for propane it would have costed a lot more. Anything more than a 100 pound tank and taking it somewhere to get filled would be a chore. I guess you could still shop for it to be delivered. I also knew of some camps that their big tanks stolen, if you owned the tank that would be a big loss between the tank and how full the tank was, if they owned the tank it would only be the gas you would lose.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Same boat as Bownut, I rented my tanks from the small local propane guys when I built my house, cheapest around anyway.

Two years later they got bought out by Sunoco....So much for the best price around, started getting Jammed hard for propane, but since they were not my tanks, they were the only ones who would fill them. Contacted them, bought my tank, switched to Martindale, more than half below the cost I was paying for propane. Owning your tank is the only way to go in my opinion..

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
My primary heat source in my house is propane. We used to rent but quickly learned that heating a nearly 4,000 sq/ft house was a lot cheaper if we owned the tank. Every single distributor in our area charged a substantial amount more per gallon if you rented. I purchased two 100 gallon tanks and got propane last year for 1.23 a gallon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts