The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Only greedy people are adverse to sharing the woods with other hunters, whether they be archery, muzzle-loader (flintlock), or any other hunter. The biggest buck I ever shot was the 2nd week of rifle on SGL when guys were telling me there were no deer or they were all chased off the property.

dstewart said:
i always end up getting a stand stolen during that first week of small game....
Then unless you hunt private property, and if you do call the police, carry the stand out with you. I do every time I use my stand or blind on public land.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Why not just lock your stands up? Chains and a pad lock, or those cable locks specifically for tree stands. Unless they are stand hunting, I don't know too many hunters that carry bolt cutters with them.

What kind of stands are you using? If I'm using hang on's with climbing sticks, just take the last couple sticks off and stash them in the brush. Ladder stands, I take a piece of ply wood an lock it to the ladder part so the theives can't climb up it.

Unfortunately times are changing, and more and more "hunters" are turning into theives. Don't let them ruin your hunt, just out smart them.

PA Waterfowler

I see so very few small game hunters out that I don't see the huge harm to archers' prospects. Must be other areas. Last fall, I saw all of two small game hunters in SE York County. Would give me a chance to do some early flintlock shotgun squirrel. Got a new beagleXJack Russel pup that shows promise as a squirrel dog.

zimmerstutzen said:
I see so very few small game hunters out that I don't see the huge harm to archers' prospects. Must be other areas. Last fall, I saw all of two small game hunters in SE York County. Would give me a chance to do some early flintlock shotgun squirrel. Got a new beagleXJack Russel pup that shows promise as a squirrel dog.
No doubt I will be out hunting and enjoying the heck out of it, but to play devil's advocate, this thread shows that there is going to be quite an increase in people out there stomping around, so comparing years past to what could come is premature and nonfactual.

With Squirrel starting on the 14th and regular archery starting the next month on the 3rd, I don't see much of a problem. Even the early anterless archery won't start until the week after the start of squirrel. The first day of the season is usually the busiest. The woods will calm down by the 3rd. I'm an archery hunter and I don't think there will be a problem. I shot my very first deer ever in 1969 when Grouse hunters chased him back down the trail I was watching. The first day of Grouse/Squirrel used to be a good time to watch escape routes like in firearms season, but the limited amount of small game hunters has changed that. Turkey hunters are better drivers nowadays.

I hear ya freepistol. A lot of my hunting is done on private land, right on the public border in escape routes. no one drives deer better than the weekender who is taking his gun for a walk

I think it is great. I can't believe all the deer hunters who think it is a bad thing. I always like to see people stirring around. Never know if they are gonna bump something up and unless a dog runs deer it literally has no effect on them. There are studies proving that.

Why do archery hunters think they own the woods?? Same thing happened with the early muzzleloader season then the crossbow and now the early squirrel season If anything why not cut the archery season down to about 3 weeks so they don't disturb all the hunters I know that wouldn't go over to good

If people don't want other people in the woods they ought to hunt private land. It is all part of hunting state land and actually when I bow hunted I was glad to see people hunting because they could move the deer. Had a guy that was hunting bout 100 yards from a truck post a nasty note on my truck once cause I was hunting with dogs and he said the sign said no dogs allowed in water company property if he would have read it right it reads within so many yards of the resivour.

coalman said:
Why do archery hunters think they own the woods?? Same thing happened with the early muzzleloader season then the crossbow and now the early squirrel season If anything why not cut the archery season down to about 3 weeks so they don't disturb all the hunters I know that wouldn't go over to good
Don't knock all archers because of a few. It's the same as anything else. I love to archery hunt, in fact the vast majority of bucks that I shoot are with the bow. But I really welcome this early opener for squirrels. Can't wait to get out and after them. I hope it gets final approval at the upcoming meeting. I really llok forward to hunt them up at camp and scout for bear season. Find the acorns, you find the squirrels and bears. (And deer and turkeys.) This will be great for hunting and scouting.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.