The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe nobody is talking about the proposed squirrel seasons on here yet... Youth season Sept 7-13 and Regular season coming in Sept 14th... This happened just in time... I will be taking my oldest Son out for the first time this year at age 10... It will be great to take him out before I am distracted by all of the other seasons... Can't wait...

G

·
Banned
313 Posts
Idk why it took so long for this to happen tons of states start sept 1st. Honestly I really dont think it much matters when the season opens and closes there isnt exactly thousands of squirrel hunters out and about. I think the early season will get a few small game hunters out before the regular small game season starts this year though.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Sounds great! No doubt though that someone will complain about squirrel numbers being "decimated".

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think it should be YOUTH /Mentored Youth only september 1 until october...then people could focus on mentoring kids instead of letting their obsession with deer get in the way.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i just posted about other state seasons the other day and wonder about this sounds like good times! also other states have a spring season for them too

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i've been hunting squirrels since 73. to me it just isn't squirrel season until there is a chill in the air and the leaves are turning. even the early youth season was kind of lame to me. i won't be partaking. i'll be out there the 2nd saturday of october like before. september is still summer to me.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Will be tough to shoot them with all of the leaves on the trees. I am a tad nervous to be in a tree with so much cover around though. I hope they make it mandatory to have an orange band then.

This should cause a good stir.

·
Registered
982 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
Sounds great! No doubt though that someone will complain about squirrel numbers being "decimated".
If we don't shoot them the hawks will get them.
Nice early season.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I will be going. Enjoyed hunting squirrels with the 22 long before I got obsessed with archery hunting.

Just can't seem to motivate myself to hunt them in the Feb. cold.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sounds great to me. Me and my dog will have the woods to ourself until archery comes in and I won't have to pussyfoot around them for a while.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined): Special season for eligible junior hunters, with or without required license, and mentored youth – Sept. 7-13 (6 daily, 12 in possession limit after first day).

SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined): Sept. 14-Nov. 30; Dec. 16-24 and Dec. 26-Feb. 22 (6 daily, 12 possession).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts