1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted: January 26, 2015 03:55 PM
To: All Senate members
Subject: Reduce Reporting Time for Big Game

In the near future, I will be introducing legislation to reduce the reporting time for big game kills from 10 days to 24 hours to aid in the deer management process throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Currently, each licensed person who kills any big game shall, immediately after the killing and before removing the big game from the location of the killing, fully complete the proper game kill tag in compliance with the instructions printed on the tag and attach only the game kill tag to the big game. The attached kill tag shall remain on the big game until such time as the big game is processed for consumption or prepared for mounting.

In any year in which the Pennsylvania Game Commission establishes check stations, each person shall, within 24 hours after killing any big game, present the big game for examination and tagging. Currently the law states that within 10 days of the kill, the person shall report the killing of big game as required in the manner or methods prescribed by the Commission.

My legislation would propose that the reporting time for big game be changed from 10 days to 24 hours.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Not that it really impacts me much, as I've actually reported some of my kills before I even left the woods (using my iphone) with the deer, but what possible purpose does this serve?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TDD,
I'm wondering about the phrase at the beginning of the 3rd paragraph: "In any year in which the PGC establishes check stations"....
Is this primarily for the CWD areas? Like you, I'm wondering what the ultimate aim of this legislation may be.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
tdd said:
Not that it really impacts me much, as I've actually reported some of my kills before I even left the woods (using my iphone) with the deer, but what possible purpose does this serve?
I agree, what purpose?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
24 hours ?? really makes it hard for the people who go to camps to hunt or travel anywhere within the state to hunt ,, many don't have internet access once they leave home ,many camps don't have telephones either ,and in many places cell phones don't work either ,, once again more regulations equals less hunters

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Hunting at camp with no cell phone service for a week straight. Yea you can forget that from happening. I think they should concentrate efforts elsewhere when it comes to this purposed bill IMHO.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
A guy shoots a deer on his back forty is really gonna load up and drive across the county to a deer check station. As I recall Virginia had mandatory deer check stations and in rural areas couldn't get the resident folks to bring their deer in.

At least the reporting system is convenient to comply with.

And the PGC is going to use what money to hire the folks manning the deer check stations?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I can see the need for a short window to bring a harvested big game animal to an established check station for elk, bear season or for deer in CWD areas.
I don't see the need to have a 24hr. window for regular season deer or turkey harvests. It's just not practical for guys in camps that don't have internet or cell service which is more prevalent than Mr. Alloway may realize.
The current regulations are fine. They just need to be enforced.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I say just make it mandatory to report ALL tags within 24hrs of the close of the last season, kill or no kill. It wouldn't be perfect because of the liars and manipulators out there, but it would make it a close harvest estimate. If you don't report, no license next year.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
While it is important to increase the reporting rate it will never be 100%, nor does it need to be. Not allowing a hunter to buy a license is not proportionate to the impact of the violation. Therefore, I would not support any if you don't report you can't buy a license provision. It would do much more harm to the hunters of PA than it would benefit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts