1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
14,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2021/22 Waterfowl Seasons and Bags Proposed
PGC Live- Nate Huck

We Are Requesting Your Feedback On The 2021/22 Proposed Seasons and Bags
The Pennsylvania Game Commission is seeking input on the proposed 2021-22 waterfowl hunting seasons, which can be found online here.
Don’t miss waterfowl biologist, Nate Huck, who will be LIVE on the Game Commission’s Facebook page on Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM to discuss and answer questions about the proposed seasons.
Public comments will be accepted through March 21, 2021. Those interested can send comments via letter to Game Commission headquarters or via email at [email protected].

·
Registered
378 Posts
Personally don't like the Northwest.North and South duck seasons all coming in on the same day. In prior years it gave my group two weekend openers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Love the NW zone proposal. It’s about time. Like the opening dates for ducks. With all 3 zones opening at the same it should receive opening day pressure from the nw zone. Also like the later closing date.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's nice for NW and south on 10-9-2021. Now you claim jumpers will have to make a choice of locals. Thank you PGC; now I can run a decoy set-up for opening day.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Now you claim jumpers will have to make a choice of locals.
Wow....Bashing fellow waterfowl hunters! I sure hope you practice what you preach and stay in "your" backyard. I use to look forward to your posts and now true colors come out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hey D just express your dislike for the proposal to the PGC , there is time. Not bashing anyone. Claim jumpers and skybusters know who they are.

·
20,132 Posts
I like it the opening day being the same day. At first I was a little surprised but then when I thought about it it's gonna be pretty cool. Pressure is going to be wide spread and it's going to save a TON of ducks. That double opening day was a bloodbath X2. Now you'll have to make an opening day choice and then the next 2 weeks you'll have to hunt'em up. I think it'll end up a positive move from not only a hunting experience but from a duck population standpoint. The PGC learned the extent at which a waterfowler will go to kill and made a sensible adjustment.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
For several years I have sent in my comments asking for the South Zone Duck season to run as long as the Feds allow, Jan 31st unless the 31st comes on a Sunday like this year. They have yet to endorse my great idea! 😁
Trying to get a feel if there's any other support for this date change, anyone agree it should run till Jan 31st?

·
Registered
768 Posts
It doesn't matter. When you get to my age all seasons end in November!! But for the rest of you, the later the better.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Trying to get a feel if there's any other support for this date change, anyone agree it should run till Jan 31st?
In general I agree with running to the end date to Jan.31 since weather is such a contributing factor to waterfowl hunting. That said I live just below the North Zone border in the South Zone and I'm old enough to remember plenty of years where everything was froze up in the area I live by late December and waterfowl pushed out early. This past late goose season was a good example where typically the late season is my best goose hunting but this year everything was froze up around here since the last week of January and just no place for birds to roost at night. They use to roost on local rivers but for whatever reason not so much this year.( more guys hunting where they roost on the river). Lots of guys voice concerns over the early season start dates for waterfowl but if you mess with those dates too much you miss out on the calendar ducks that migrate through regardless of weather patterns. Pennsylvania is a relatively big state and it's just hard to set seasons for what would be great for your area may not work so much for mine and vice a versa.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Lots of good points.
I’m in favor of the proposal for the openers.
All about pressure.
And like DM said, all depends on the weather we are given pertaining to the late Jan.closure idea. I’d like that too.
I do better later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've often thought the state should be split East/West versus North/South. Go to 3 zones (Erie, West, South) instead of 4. Seems like the weather in western PA is vastly different than the eastern part, particularly the southeastern part. I would see no problem extending the southeastern part of the state to the last weekend in January, but I think the western part should run mid-November through mid-January.

·
Registered
90 Posts
1 bird. . .... whatever. I enjoy hunting and learning. I'll still be out every chance I can.
I agree, and will be heading out at least a few times to my local spots. . What I’m mulling is if I want to scout some RP fields, I’m about an hour from the zone and I’m wondering how many AP locals are thinking the same.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow only 1 Canada goose a day in the late season in Atlantic zone. It was 2 this year and that sucked. Wonder where they get their numbers from. I like the extended dates thou but com’on only 1 goose a days

1 - 19 of 19 Posts