The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one determine the picth of a propeller? I have a mid to late 80's Mercury 9.9 that I bought used several years back. One of the blades has a fair size piece broken off. I would like to order a new one but there are many listed with different pitches?

·
Registered
619 Posts
FYI The pitch is the distance in inches the boat will travel with one revolution of the prop. I wasn't sure if you aware of that or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
pitch is not the distance the boat will move in inches with one revolution of the prop.

pitch is the distance in inches the prop would move through a solid surface ( such as through a block of clay ) it doesn't take into account slippage through water.

·
Registered
113 Posts
try this link & give the guy a call. Probably can fix your prop at a fairly reasonable cost & he has had the best prices on new props I ever found. Can offer good advice on proper diameter & pitch based on motor & Boat. I have used him for over 20 years as I moved around the country for props on small engine Pontoon boats, deep cupped stainless shallow water props & lots of others in between. ALways treated me good.
www.soderbloom.com

I looked real quick & it looks like he may have new props your size/motor for under $60

1 - 7 of 7 Posts