The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read where House Bill 2384 has been proposed to allow inlines during the PA flintlock season. If you, like myself, are opposed to this, please take a minute and let your representatives know how you feel. For those of you that don't want to compose a letter, I've attached mine below. Please feel free to use it.

Gentlemen,

I understand that Representative Tina Pickett has introduced HB 2384 that would allow the use of inline muzzleloaders during Pennsylvania's late "flintlock" season. She says she's doing this on behalf of a constituent. I'd rather doubt that Rep. Pickett even knows the difference between an inline muzzleloader and a flintlock rifle. Rep. Pickett needs to inform her constituent that there is already a week in October devoted to deer hunting with inline muzzleloaders.

Pennsylvania is the ONLY state to have a primitive weapons season entirely devoted to muzzleloading rifles that have a flintlock ignition system. Members of the flintlock hunting community see this as the first "foot in the door" to allow all types of firearms during our primitive rifle season. I know that I'm not alone in recommending that each of you do whatever is necessary to defeat this bill. Please help keep Pennsylvania's primitive hunting season just that...PRIMITIVE. Thanks.

So Google a few of the lawmakers in your area and make sure they get the word about this bill.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Good luck. I hope it stays just as it is now. I have a lot of friends that hunt with a flintlock although I haven't taken it up yet.
I expect that many will be saying, "Hey, as long as it's
legal, it don't make no difference. Ain't gonna tell me it's easier with a inline".

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I am for helping someone who is disabled to enjoy the hunt,but I would love for the supporters of this bill(or anyone else)to personally show me how using an inline is any easier on someone who is disabled to the point they can not use a flinter!!!
They should have to provide proof that it will make a big difference.
Sounds like a bunch of idiots in Harrisburgh,who have no knowledge of what they are talking about!!
Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
23,984 Posts
Bluetick said:
This has been discussed at length in Outdoor Issues. No harm, some may not read that forum. Though I would like to suggest that all stop in at least once a week and look over the first two pages. You never know what might affect you or you might have issues with.

That said, here is the thread we had on this bill:

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1698880#Post1698880
Stan..I think many of us smokers avoid the Outdoor Issues Forum as a matter of course!! Too tempting to being drawn into controversies whereby there is no answer plus much back stabbin seems to continually originate from such platforms.

Acorns post here affords maximum view by those smokin folks who have a serious concern in this matter!!! I know quite a few smokers who spend minimal time on these boards but do carve out some time to stop in here for a peaceful smoke!

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
To each his own Loggy. The fact remains this is just being posted here. The bill came out several weeks go. The time to act on these kinds of bills is before they get a committee hearing.

This is Pennsylvania. We have a full time legislature with time on their hands - contrary to public statements. Some might recall the bill Rep Dellinger proposed to let inlines in the late season about four years ago.

That bill was killed because it was posted in this forum - and Outdoor Issues. The representative pulled his own bill in about two weeks. That with assurances that he would not revisit it for the remainder of the session.

He kept his word - BTW.

It is important for all of use to know what is being proposed by the legislature. Some of it helps us, some doesn't. But stopping a bad bill once it has a head of steam is more difficult than stopping a bill gearing up for a run.

As for this bill, I have the email addresses posted in the linked thread several places. Just copy and paste into your email program, type your comments and send.

·
Premium Member
23,984 Posts
Good points there Stan!!

You know the make-up of us smokers as well as I do. Mebbie somehow such Outdoor Issues Threads that specifically impact such a narrow group could somehow be immediately linked to the specific Forum were it has such major impact to afford maximum input from affected HPA Folks?

BTW,,,Acorn is one very serious smoker to say the least...albeit my point!!

Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received an email tonight from a friend that knows I live to hunt deer with my flintlock. Along with the email he included a scan of the article that appeared in the Lancaster paper that prompted my original post. It seems the information may be 30 days old, however it's the first I had read of it.

Although some may think that I posted it in the wrong location, I'd have to agree with Loggy that matters that affect specific user groups ie: muzzleloaders, bowhunters, trappers, turkey hunters etc., that information should be posted under those headings so that interested individuals can act.

So what's the status of this bill now? Is it languishing in some committee?

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Its not on any calendar for the house game and fisheries committee. They are meeting on the 3rd, and this isn't on the list- but they have till tomorrow at noon to add it, if I'm not mistaken.

If it doesn't make it to committee, chances are it will die with the election in November- but ot could happen.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
in Colorado we dont have that type of law. Its open for all muzzleloaders. Doesnt hurt harvest rates. I find it funny how a lot of traditional shooters claim that inlines are unfair because of their accuracy, Yet good deal post pictures of their flintlocks shooting 3 or even 5 shot groups that are touching, and that being with open sights @ 100 yards. Makes me look at the scope on my rifle and say... Well what the hecks wrong with you Bushnell LOL.

·
Registered
692 Posts
There already is 2 weeks that inlines can be used...and they need more oportunity for using rifles or I mean inlines?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I try with great difficulty NOT to shoot my flintlocks that accurately. I like some paper between holes,
otherwise, the target tends to get all raggedy looking.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
If ya keep putting them in the same hole they will accuse you of putting them over the hill instead of at the target

·
Premium Member
23,984 Posts
LOL!!

Ive been smokin many years but have yet to consistently cut holes at 100 yards with an open sighted flinter!!
I was never dat good of shot anyways so it doesnt bother me. Now at the 50 yard line,,,,anuther story!!

Heck...I was hopin they would make the Early ML Season Flintlock Only PLUS allow Bucks too!!!!!

Kiddin aside, the seasons as they are...just fine with me!!

Catsha later...going fishin!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yall need to stop this while you can. here in Mississippi, those laws started passing and it dominoed into any break open single shot rifle that shoots a bullet .35 or larger is legal. There are very few of us that shoot muzzleloaders here and even fewer that shoot sidelocks. Need to stop it while you can. <>< del

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I couldn't agree more, del!

I just received a letter dated 4/26/10, from Ed Staback. In it he states, "As of now, there are no plans to bring up the measure (HB 2384) for consideration of the Committee." "There will be ample opportunity for input from hunters before any such measure is voted."

Send those e-mails and letters, ladies and gentlemen!

. . . . . . . .

Loggy, I agree with the 100 yard shooting problem. For me, my front sight pretty much blots out the target! I consider hitting the target an accomplishment.

Good luck with those funny looking flat fish! I read this morning that we need to start eating lion fish, an invasive species from the S. Pacific and Indian Ocean.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
They used to say that xbows would never be allowed in archery season.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BerksCo,
I also received a response from two of my local representatives this morning that serve on the Fish and Game Committee and both noted that there is no action on this Bill at this time and both expected it to go away. They also noted that they are not in favor of this Bill.

Keep contacting your legislators as it doesn't hurt for them to get a few more letters or emails.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts