The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad dug this out of the coyotes neck he caught in a #2 this am. Last year he caught one with a broadhead in it too. [img:center]
[img:center]

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Yep...WOW! thats sums it up!
Tough critters!!

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
they are super tough critters thats for sure..

last year me and a buddy were doing small 2 man pushes for deer...it was my turn to sit and call the push..i picked a small corn field..i set up...he walked through..out ran a yote...

40 yard shot give or take...quartering towards me..shooting a 308 with 165gr nosler accubonds..i put the crosshairs on the close shoulder and touched her off..dog was stopped by me and perfect shot...it started spinning and bitting and rolling...i casually reloaded and waited for the buck to come running out next...

the yote got on its feet and i watched it trot/run through the field..over 150yds!!! i couldnt get a 2nd shot due to sky line etc..i couldnt believe it...i trailed it over 400yds in amazement..i KNEW where i hit..and it just did not make any sense at all...

over a week later, i already killed my buck (same gun and load...perfect performance..) i was dogging for buddies and stood on a bank closing a back door and containing the deer from crossing...well, a yote tried using the back door...15yds away i noticed a gaping hole on its front left shoulder!! it WAS the yote i shot!!! leg was semi-stiff..but it ran pretty dang well.. with the hole, it should had a broken shoulder and blown out vitals...

i am still dumb founded and i have no idea how that thing is alive...i really dont...i am confident the accubond didnt explode..ive recovered a .308 and .358 accubond from deer..both remained intact and penetrated well...

i just dont understand it...i really dont...if presented that same shot any day of the week id take it over and over...the hole confirmed i hit where i wanted...

wished i would have caught it in a trap so i could seen what happened..but never did...maybe it is still alive and i will get him this year...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I skinded one out last yr and its hole front shoulder was full of heavy shot must of ran into a turkey hunter at some point.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
'Yotes are bionic tough, for sure.

But how do you get THAT LITTLE penetration with a cut-on-impact broadhead ??????

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Strut10 said:
'Yotes are bionic tough, for sure.

But how do you get THAT LITTLE penetration with a cut-on-impact broadhead ??????
Maybe he shot through the first coyote and into the second?
Deflected off a tree?
Not a cut on contact head.....not that it really matters.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Is the broadhead against the shoulder blade? May have been a real long shot made, made with presicion, but too far to maintain the foot lbs to penetrate enough against the bone.

The Indians knew of the coyotes' abilities to dodge death, and that is why he is the Trickster. In the stories he actually dies alot, but can be bought back to life if at least 1 hair survives, and is stepped over 3- 5 times ( depending on who's story and from what era- the 3 comes from the Trinity after missionaries had done their work). He also has a 2nd life force in his tail or somesuch, which makes him harder to kill. Coyote helped finish creation for the Great Spirit, and therefore as the Aztec word "coyotl" means "god's dog". I don't know which god it is with the Aztecs, but I once came upon info that the Aztecs were descended from tribes called " dog people". Coyote is embodied in at least 1 god, and is also somehow associated with Quetzalcoatl. And no I did not use Wikipedia as my source, I used Foxtrapperwoman-e-pedia. My thing with coyotes goes back 20 years, and the Aztec obsession is even older.

One more- coyotes are big furry roaches, you just can't ever kill them all.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
The indians also traded their lands and furs for a sip of whiskey

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yes, fools they were! But booze to Indians is like crack in the ghetto or meth in the rundown trailor park. It is the weak point. But we didn't kill all of them did we? ( and some of our ancestors interbred).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts