The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plans for a budget build of a field sniper/varmint gun, less sniper, more long range varminter i.e. groundhogs, coyotes, and fox. any input welcome as build is not set in stone...

Marlin X7VH in 223 (350.00)
Trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs
Boyds Varmint Thumbhole (99.00)
Bushnell Banner 4-16x 40mm Illuminated CF 500 Reticle (150.00)
Harris Bipod (already own one)
Total 599.00 plus tax/shipping

Scope in photo is not the scope im looking to get but was this was the closest to my build i could find...

disclaimer : I do not own this photo, it is from an online source and only meant to be representative of my future build.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
considered it but prefer the heavy barrel and trigger of the marlin

·
Registered
25,837 Posts
Built my first "econo thumper" in 1986 and still use it. Like the one pictured here, fun to have something that does the job, that you've invested time in and not lots of money.

Mine started out as an FN Columbian M98 in 30-06, acquired for $60. Slightly-used Douglass 24" SS barrel in 25-06 (.750 at the muzzle), for $75, installed/headspaced. Compliments of an ol' boy I knew, who was more or less retired as a gunsmith by then.

The barrel had already been threaded/chambered, had been taking up space in his shop for years.

He reshaped the bolt, D/T'd the action for a Redfield JR mount (provided, used) for the sum of $25.

I installed the Timney Sportsman trigger and Beuhler safety myself. Think both together cost me about $65 at the time?

Used the original "cut down" military stock for a few years, eventually put a Fajen laminated varminter stock on it (sale price at Midway, around $100 some years ago).

Original scope in Burris "dovetail" rings ($25?), is still on the rifle: 6x24x40 Tasco made in Japan. That scope ran around $100 back then. Scope has never caused any issues in all that time and thousands of rounds; hundreds of dead 'chucks and about a dozen dead deer, some at well over 400 yards from the Harris.

Total investment: About $450 for something I did much of the work on, still shoots like a dream and isn't just like something anyone else might have.

Minus the cost of the laminated stock, only $350, as it shot just as well with the old "club" on it. Just didn't look as good.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sounds like a decent build. Should get the job done...

If it were me however, I would scrap the Marlin and go with a Savage 12FV. Would be just about 2x the cost of the Marlin but you'd probably be better off, IMHO. I am biased however...

·
Registered
301 Posts
how did that boyds stock work out? did you have to fit it at all or was it a drop in fit? i been thinking about getting one for my rem 700, does it any better or easier to shoot? Really nice stock by the way

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a project im planning, didnt actually buy anything yet. From the research ive done the stock should bolt right up no problem, everyone seems to like it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Add me to the Savage Camp as well. You may pay a little more up front, but if you shop around, the Savages are always on sale at one of the major retailers. It will also be a great decision if you decided to change calibers later or even go with a rebarrel project, sort of like the E.R. Shaw kit. Plus, you'll have a MUCH easier time finding used goodies for the Savage over the Marlin. Either way, have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts