The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually on the lookout for odd calibers. I ran a across a 5MM for sale recently, and after a little research, decided I needed to have this one. I got it for a decent price, but the stock had numerous dings and scratches on it(actually it was in pretty good shape for a 40yr old rifle)and the base was staniless and didn't match the rest of the rifle. I decided to turn it into a project, and fix it up as best I could. I completely disassembled it, and degreased all the metal. I then touched up a few little marks on the barrel that were through the bluing with some cold blue, lightly relubed everything, and put all the metal pieces back together. After that, I cleaned the barrel for about an hour, and got it looking new again. The rifling looks to be in great shape. Next up was the stock. I completely stripped the old finish, used a steam iron to raise the dents in the wood, and then sanded it down smooth and applied 6 coats of tru oil, buffing with steel wool between each coat. I topped it off with new rimfire rings, and a weaver 4-16-44 scope. All that's left to do now is head to the range and test the two different types of ammo I have, and see which one shoots the best. The range report will follow(hopefully tomorrow). Once I get it dialed in, and become familiar with the trajectory, my goal is to kill a groundhog with it in the 250-300 yard range, and whack a few foxes and maybe even a yote with it this fall. Here are a few pics of the process. Enjoy, I know I had fun doing it!

How it looked when I got it:

The stock, completely stripped and sanded:

2 coats in:

4 coats in:

6 coats and reassembled:

Rings and scope on and ready for the range:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Fine job! Hope it shoots well for ya

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Classic V 16. 4-16-42 with ballistic reticle

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words guys. Due to the rain today, I didn't really get to shoot. There was one little break in the storms, and I bailed for the range. I had 20 minutes until the rain started again. I managed to roughly sight it in at 50 yards. Tomorrow, I'll test it for groups with the two different ammos at 50 and 100, and maybe beyond depending on how she shoots, and how much time I have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts