The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For what it's worth, I thought I would put out a product review on the arrows I'll be shooting this year for archery season.

Carbon Express Maxima Reds- 350 spine, cut to 28" carbon to carbon, 100 grain points, factory nock bushing and factory inserts, factory nocks.

Arrow weight- 407gr. Bow- Carbon Spyder 34 at 65#, 28" draw.Fletching- 3 Bohning blazer vanes fletched with the Bohning tower jig producing a helix. Rest- QAD Release- Carter Chocolate Lite

Weight Consistancy- 5/5- arrows cut to 28" are all within 1 grain of each (12 arrows from two different lots)

Nocks- 5/5 nock weight and gap are very consistant and within 1 gr of weight for all 12 nocks.

Tuning- Very easy to nock tune, usually only took one or two vane rotations to get all to hit in a 2" diameter at 40 yards.

Flight- very good flight, very true as seen through a good set of binos from behing the shooter.

Durability- very poor. Unlike Gold tip or Easton Flatlines, these arrows will not take any misses and come out in one piece. Probably will break up on a pass through as well. I've used these for 4 3d shoots. Withstood some hitting by other arrows, but over judged a target, arrow hit ground beyond target, and shattered.

Since I have 12 set up and 6 more shafts ready to be set for this year, I will probably stay with them, but will probably go back to Gold Tip or Easton, possibly FMJ for next year.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I haven;t shot CE in awhile, but when i did the Maxima Hunters were pretty durable and held together on misses and on pass throughs. Sounds like these reds are not as thick walled as the hunters making them prone to breaking alot easier.

I've been shooting ACCs, Hunters and now Pros, for the past 3 years. They shoot great from my heavy poundage bow and the penetration of deer is awesome. But they do bend, especially the pros. The hunters had a thicker carbon layer, so bending was not as prone. But these pros will bend. I think maybe next year i may go back to all carbon arrow.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Thanks for posting!

I haven't bought arrows in while...last I bought we CX Terminator XP Selects. Before that Easton Epics...I love the terminators...very durable...I've shot the same arrow through a few deer and turkey..I've never broke one hunting..smacked numerous with other arrows and not an issue except when it's a broad head blade or the point hits the carbon just right...it's been minimal..

Was going to stick with CX....

Was considering carbon tech or victory...now leaning towards trying them more so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts