The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had two ventless heaters in camp 1st one I thought was bad so I took it back the second one produces same symptoms....It will run fine and then the Pilot will become eratic and dance off of the thermocouple therefore shuting down the heater.....When trying to relight the pilot it seems as if its got to much or to little pressure and sputters....The kitchen stove also acts up when this happens if i turn it on its half lit and sounds like a blowtorch .....pipe is new and the gas co.has changed the regulator but still the problem persists every so often mostly in the middle of the night....This has been happening for 7 years ...The neighbor has the same type of heater with no problems although his heater is much older....Also my uncle who is on the other side of the neighbor just connected to natural gas in sept,and has a ventless also and his has done the same thing three times since its instal..PPL inssits its just a fluke thing and cant pinpoint a problem......Im about to complete and addition on the place and want to install a real furnace .I prefer gas to electric but given these problems with 3 different appliances I am hesitant.....Sorry this is such a long post but I`m curious if anyone has had any of the simular issues

·
Registered
320 Posts
Your problem may be a supply volume issue rather than a supply pressure issue. You may wish to increase the main supply line (after the regulator) to a larger diameter.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
changed the pipe from 1/2 inch to 1 inch same as the line from ppl gas at the meter...has since gone out twice....Im so frustrated it ran for 3 weeks no problem then I went back up and it went out twice in a weekend .UGGH

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Elk,
One of the things I have noticed about my ventless gas
heaters, is that they must be kept clean to make them function properly, I clean our gas ventless heaters and fire place twice a year. I even had a new one that had been stored at the place I purchased it for around a year
that I had to clean before it operated properly.
Good luck with your heaters.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
822 Posts
Using a ventless heater is like standing in a Big Chimney , You inhale all of Its exhaust, the exhaust (and there is exhaust) goes directly into Your lungs when You breathe .

·
Registered
813 Posts
Check to make sure your pilot and main gas orifice are clean. Spiders like to crawl in there and build webs when they are not lit. Happens to gas grills all the time.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I had the same thing happen.There's an oxygen sensor on those stoves which I think is the problem.However I tried a new one and same thing.I since got a back up wall heater with no problem.Our main heater only goes out the first night when it's running full blast.After the first night it's always fine.For an experiment try getting some fresh air on the stove while it's running.Maybe crack a window nearby,see what happens.I know alot of people with ventless that have no problems at all.I'm sarting to think it's a lemon stove.The wall heater from lowes works great.

·
Registered
964 Posts
NRA said:
Check to make sure your pilot and main gas orifice are clean. Spiders like to crawl in there and build webs when they are not lit. Happens to gas grills all the time.
This is the best place to start. Just take some canned air and blow it around the pilot light tube area. It only takes a little dirt to cause big problems.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
That looks great!! Are the legs for it to be free standing or do they just lean back against the wall? It didn`t mention in the description. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
You can set it on the floor with the legs or wall mount.We mounted to the wall as a back up heater.The wall heater works great and I know quite a few people who use them.I know clearfield 12 on here heats his whole cabin with this type of heater.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
buerysgrove said:
I have the heater from lowes.Mine is propane,and it stands on the legs.Works great heats the whole cabin.It's a small cabin.(20x45)
In my opinion 20x45 is not a small cabin by any stretch, how much propanr to heat cabin during deer hunting for a week....

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I can't tell you what deer season is but for the year I pay about $300 for propane.The camp gets used heavy throughout hunting seasons then probably once a month through winter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have a similiar propane heater has the ceramic type bricks inside...i let the pilot get really good and hot before letting off the gas button on first start and i have no problems

·
Registered
470 Posts
ELKMAN, I'm not buying that it is the heaters fault at all, you also mentioned that the cooking stove has the same problem. Its due to contaminents in the gas supply, and its simple to fix this. Most people, especially do-it yourselfers, run the line straight into the appliance, when you should add a "T" . Take one line into the appliance and make a 6" "drop" to catch the impurities. This is what we done at our camp and it works fine. All gas, natural and propane contains these impurities, causing burners to burn funny and yellow and almost seem like a clog. Also, something no-one else mentioned is the orffices, they are different for propane and natural. Alot of typical space heaters come with propane orffices and depending where you got your stove at, it too could be set up for propane. Your gas(natural ) supplier should be able to determine which orffice is installed by the diameter size. Hope this somehow helps, let us know how you make out, others will have this problem too I'm sure, Lonnie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts