The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems with these pompus, jerks? I don't mean the gun hunters. I mean the guys who ride the horses and have 30+ hounds chasing foxes and blowing their little sissy horns. Every year, there is a group of them from Brogue who don't care at all about where they ride or whose property they go on. I don't know how many times my dad's electric fence was torn down by them riding through it. A few of the "hunters" did come back later and offer to help him fix the fence, but he was so mad, he just screamed at them and told them to hit the road (not in so many words). One year, they rode their horses right through his yard and tore his grass all up. A few weeks ago, their dogs (must have been 40 of them) were running up and down our property for an entire afternoon. Any deer that was in there had to be chased out. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how you dealt with it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I never had a problem with them since they don't do that where i hunt. But a freind used to have them come on the farm he is the property manager of. They said they did this for yrs and he told them they are trespassing. They weren't happy and tried to go through the property again so he called the police. They stay off his property now. Thats in chester co. by the way.

I have come across them while driving and if they are in the road the expect you to wait for them while they are on the road. Some people wait but i don't have time for that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My grandfather was a dairy farmer below Lancaster and in the late 70's they would follow the hounds wherever they led them and didn't care whose property they were on or if they caused crop damage. They were extremely hard on winter wheat. I worked for another dairy farm during college in Maryland and it was the exact same situation. However, some prime hunting land is owned by these horse people and you don't have a dare to cross their boundaries and when you ask permission, you are rebuked for even asking. I have a sour taste in my mouth for the english steeplechase and fox hunting people because of this. There's one set of rules for them and a different set for us common folks who aren't gentry or nobility as they are.

Conococheague

·
Registered
708 Posts
rlfb74,
I was late season muzzleloading on SGL 83 when we heard the horn. Next thing you know horses and dogs everywhere. Needless to say we ended our deer hunt. I didn't realize anyone did that around here until that day. This was many years ago.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dad's property borders SGL 83.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
They of course have a furytakers license - correct?? Pursueing a fox is hunting under the game law.

I'd be calling someone as soon as i heard them coming, if the abuse of property bounderies is as you say. Local cops - or if no license is displayed the GC.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do they need a license even if they are not killing the fox?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mathewsarcher996 said:
Do they wear those pants too? You know what pants I'm talking about.
Oh yeah. Pants, little helmets, bugle horns, the whole 9 yards.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Seems there was a posting about this issue a few years back and it was also in York County!

I do not remember if they need a fur takers license, but I do know it was said, even if they are on horse back following a pack of dogs, they Still do not have permission to ride all over property they do not have permission to be on!

·
Administrator
28,382 Posts
Dont ask me how I know this but,,,
If you're out small game hunting and you see a fox coming across a field and blast it, those people get very irate if it is the one they were running.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DIYASUB said:
If you're out small game hunting and you see a fox coming across a field and blast it, those people get very irate if it is the one they were running.
Yeah, I heard someone else say that.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
DIYASUB said:
How did you keep from laughing when he approached you wearing those tight knit croppy pants?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The law on fox chasing from Title 34:

Sec. 2945. Fox chasing.

(a) Authorization. - It is lawful during any period designated by the commission for any fox hunting club, fox hunting organization or individual owning and using an organized pack of five or more foxhounds to chase foxes for sport by riding after the hounds on horses or ponies after securing a permit from the commission.

(b) Permit. - The director may issue a permit to allow fox chasing by the use of hounds, horses and hole dogs during any period of time that dogs may be trained on foxes within the county in which the chase is held. Persons participating in any chase authorized by this permit shall not be required to have a furtaking license pursuant to Chapter 27 (relating to hunting and furtaking licenses).

(c) Unlawful acts. - It is unlawful to:

(1) Chase fox by the method described in this section without first obtaining a permit.

(2) Kill or attempt to kill any fox being chased by hounds under authority of a fox chasing permit with any gun or device other than the dogs legally being used in the chase.

(3) Violate any other provisions of this section.

(d) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the third degree.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=478&q=151161#2945

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So does each person need a permit or does 1 permit cover the entire club?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
If they came through the area I hunt I dont think I would even be able to get mad. I would just get in my vehicle and laugh all the way home.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Sounds like the club or organization gert a permiit for all. No license is required for any member of the chase.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts