The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my 4C applications in the mail this past Sunday, July 10th. I have been checking the PGC website every day, and have still not seen confirmation that my licenses were issued.

I called the Schuylkill County Treasurers office Friday, July 15th. The issuing agent told me they had many trays of applications to process and that they were currently working on the ones they received Wednesday.

I checked this morning and saw that my licenses were still not issued so I called the treasurers office again. Today I talked to the assistant treasurer. She told me that my license was probably received Thursday as all their mail first goes to either Reading or Harrisburg and they were still working on Wednesdays tray.

I explained that out of state people could begin to apply today and that if they submitted their applications to a different county they could be receiving their permits before me, even though I had mailed mine a week ago. She said she understood that but that they were doing the best they could.

I called two of the state representatives from Schuylkill County, Goodman and Knowles, and explained the situation to their office people who said they would pass it on to them. I have still heard nothing back from anyone and have not been awarded my permits.

It is frustrating. Should I have sent mine in earlier, yes. Should I have driven my apps to the Pottsville Post Office, yes. However I did not think their would be a problem. Hopefully their will not be as I am planning to transfer my antlerless permit to my great nephew.

As many have said before, it seems like it is time for us to update this system. I got an antlerless permit for New York last year online when I applied for my license.

As of tonight, there are only 5428 left out of 25000 available. I don't have a good feeling about this.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hope it works out for you Ted. The commissioners created a can of worms when they decided to move the out of state applications up a week. Good luck

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
pappybear said:
The commissioners created a can of worms when they decided to move the out of state applications up a week. Good luck
How do you figure? I think they did a good job on a long due thing to happen. Heaven forbid if the enemy get thee doe tag before someone else. I'm sorry put your application in the mail prior to first day of residents first chance like the non residents are doing for there first day. Btw, I hope ted gets his tag.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Sounds like 2 things are in play here:

1. Resident hunter not putting application in mail early enough.

2. USPS having fewer sorting facilities resulting in mail heading one direction only to be delivered in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Applying for a doe tag in PA is low on the priority list in July, but if you forget, it can come back to bite ya.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hacimsaalk said:
Sounds like 2 things are in play here:

1. Resident hunter not putting application in mail early enough.

2. USPS having fewer sorting facilities resulting in mail heading one direction only to be delivered in the opposite direction.
I thought Sunday was early enough, guess I was wrong. However the question I have is why some counties can stay totally caught up with the applications and others are days behind! I know the answer is staffing, but just can't understand why after all the controversies the past few years, every county doesn't pull out all the stops to get this done.

I know the answer to that also. USPS vs. UPS. Our state stores vs. private stores. Just the way it is.

Got my antlerless license in NY last when I bought my license. It was easy, why are we making it so hard here in PA?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
outofstater said:
pappybear said:
The commissioners created a can of worms when they decided to move the out of state applications up a week. Good luck
How do you figure? I think they did a good job on a long due thing to happen. Heaven forbid if the enemy get thee doe tag before someone else. I'm sorry put your application in the mail prior to first day of residents first chance like the non residents are doing for there first day. Btw, I hope ted gets his tag.
I believe that when the decision was made to move the time line up for non-residents, most people thought that it would have little or no actual impact on non-residents ability to receive permits in wmu's that sold out early. While Ted could have mailed his application on Friday afternoon, or hand delivered it to the post office of his county seat, the fact that he applied during the allotted time should save his spot in line but it doesn't under the current system.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
You really don't know that for sure. Maybe all the resident trays came in first week and they just couldn't get to them but have them in that preference to get first.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Problem could be solved for 95% of us by letting you buy it when you get your normal license, those who want the north central, sent it to h-burg, why do we have to be so backward on everything???

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
As a point of reference, I mailed my 5C app, which I wasn't sweating over, on Jul 11. It was posted as awarded yesterday. That's the Berks County Treasurer, who generally is right on top of the applications.

My sense is that they are getting a lot and earlier than in the past, as people got burned last year for procrastinating.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I agree! If there are units really hurting for deer and small allocation then have a drawl system. Other wise let every one have one with general license and raise the fee so PGC get there money. Its like how much of a battle can be created. Years ago it might of been fine but know with more tags and internet with everyone communicating it sure seems like a battle.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
outofstater said:
I agree! If there are units really hurting for deer and small allocation then have a drawl system. Other wise let every one have one with general license and raise the fee so PGC get there money. Its like how much of a battle can be created. Years ago it might of been fine but know with more tags and internet with everyone communicating it sure seems like a battle.
Like a Southern drawl?

Seriously though, this isn't that hard to 'fix' though nobody will ever be happy. For me, personally, I'd like to see some of these units made smaller or altogether redrawn.

Time for my annual '2F is horribly split and needs changed rant' to commence. The vast majority of 2F is big woods, big timber, public lands, etc. The allocation suits the habitat and herd for that, IMO. However, and this is the rant part, the southern portion of 2F (northern Clarion and southern Forest counties) is widely farmland and woodlots. It's thick due to private land ownership actually cutting timber and the simple fact it's small blocks of timber comparatively to the rest of the WMU. I can't get enough doe tags or kill enough deer to make a dent in the resident population. My best friend is now a non-resident and can't even get a tag. Top that with not being able to shoot a doe the first week of rifle. You very quickly realize the habitat and herd there isn't even hardly related to the northern portion. I've DMAP'd and that helps, but it doesn't change the fact that the line should be moved north to make that area a part of 2D....which it completely fits the habitat/herd profile of.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't understand how some hunters think buying a doe tag should be like other states. how could it possibly work with all the wmu we have and how some think you should get a doe tag with your license just think about how you could control the number of deer that would be shot in any wmu. every one just keep on complaining and some one just might change how doe-- -tags are sold and then the complaints will really start when you have to spend a afternoon standing in line at wally world to get your hunting license and a doe tag and then watch the computer crash and tell you to come back later

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
quebechunter said:
I don't understand how some hunters think buying a doe tag should be like other states. how could it possibly work with all the wmu we have and how some think you should get a doe tag with your license just think about how you could control the number of deer that would be shot in any wmu. every one just keep on complaining and some one just might change how doe-- -tags are sold and then the complaints will really start when you have to spend a afternoon standing in line at wally world to get your hunting license and a doe tag and then watch the computer crash and tell you to come back later
NY is broken down into 9 regions with about 90 WMU's. They've been using a POS lottery system for years.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
quebechunter said:
well said!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Curly Maple said:
quebechunter said:
NY is broken down into 9 regions with about 90 WMU's. They've been using a POS lottery system for years.
NY has half the hunters as PA. if the hunter does his part, there is no reason to not get a doe tag. the system we have isn't perfect, but it works. if its not broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
blackpowder said:
Curly Maple said:
quebechunter said:
NY has half the hunters as PA. if the hunter does his part, there is no reason to not get a doe tag. the system we have isn't perfect, but it works. if its not broke, don't fix it.
It is broke. There are legitimate problems.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
been sending for doe tags now for 46 years and the only time I didn't get one, was because I didn't do my part by sending it in or forgetting and sending it out late. it really is a simple system that works. if it is a priority, you will get one, if its not?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
outofstater said:
You really don't know that for sure. Maybe all the resident trays came in first week and they just couldn't get to them but have them in that preference to get first.
In your scenario, You're assuming that non residents are applying to the same county treasurer as Ted. In reality they can apply to any of the 67 county treasurers and receive a tag before Ted if the county they apply to is more efficiently run then the county Ted applied to.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts