The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't target Walleye when fishing they Yough River, but have caught a few, and also know that there have been quite a few sheer my line on a hookset. That said, if I were to specifically target Eyes in the river, should I use a wire leader, or just attach a heavier mono leader to the end of my line ? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I use 6lb test mono and have never had an eye bite through the line, have had a few muskies that liked my jig though(even landed a few of these). My biggest Pa eye is around 10lbs(31") but most are in the 4-6lb(20-26") range for me. For some reason bait does not work all that well in my spot. Twisters or Rapala type lures. I maintain about 90 degrees between my line and rod tip and that is generally enough to hook the fish. About the only times I haul off + set a hook hard are fishing plastics for bass(Texas rigged), my musky plugs or catty fishing.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should probably clarify. I am using bait, either shiners or crawlers. That puts the hook, and line, rubbing firmly between their teeth. I can see using artificial baits and not having the same issues, as the hook is usually in the mouth, and the line out of the mouth.

A worm harness may resolve the issue if fishing with crawlers.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Go heavier on leader - wallys are not too line shy like trout.

I'd go up to 10 - for confidence to set that hook home.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'd try about a 18-24" 15-17lb piece of Fluorocarbon leader. That should give you what you need to prevent getting bit off.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I've used 6-8lb my entire life and never break off on an eye. Have had a lot of pickerel and musky break me off. My favorite rig for them is slow dragging a half night crawler on a #4 circle hook with a 6-8" leader tied to a swivel with a barrel sinker above it. I like to paint the sinkers white. I use the same line I have spooked on my reel for my leader.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
I've used 6-8lb my entire life and never break off on an eye. Have had a lot of pickerel and musky break me off. My favorite rig for them is slow dragging a half night crawler on a #4 circle hook with a 6-8" leader tied to a swivel with a barrel sinker above it. I like to paint the sinkers white. I use the same line I have spooked on my reel for my leader.
+1

·
Registered
11,390 Posts
browny7492 said:
Hunterknapp16 said:
+1
+2 I use 6lb when fishing live bait for walleyes.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm kinda shocked to hear you guys have never knowingly had break-offs from Walleye bites, while using a line strength more suited for Trout. I was fishing a large run, known to hold Trout, Smallies, and a fair amount of Walleye and Sauger at the right time of the year. Using 6 lb. Stren Magnathin Mono, essentially the diameter of 4 lb. but the tensile strength of 6 lb. I had 2 "sheer-offs", where the hit came, and when I set the hook, the line went completely limp, feeling no weight from the fish. I then caught 2 16" or so Walleye. Thgen again, 2 more sheer-offs. There are some Musky to be found in that area, but I can't see getting into a pod of Musky feeding that consistently on crawlers ? Had to be Eyes or Sauger.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Use a floro leader in the same line weight. It has much better abrasion resistance especially when fishing in rivers. Also when live lining for walleye in rivers, especially in rocky runs, you need to run your finger along your line to check for nicks before every cast. Does not take much with mono to greatly weaken that line. That being said your catch rate will drop using really heavy line or leader live bait fishing for walleye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts