The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Shoot them all, see which one she likes. I know a few guys that have smashed deer with the Hornady slug load.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hope you don't mind the recoil! I can't stand to shoot my Encore 24" turkey barrel with turkey loads. The trigger guard likes to smack my trigger finger and it gives me a nice little cut to remind me how stout those loads are. I just can't imagine what 3" slugs would feel like out of that light-weight rig. Good luck, I'm glad it's you and not me!

Notch

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Frist off the firs and best sugestion ... get the 20!!!
i shot the 12 and just about got pushed on my tail.. mind you im 6'4 230 lol

but best way to find your best shell.. they come in 5 round box's get 5 guys to go in buying two boxs of shells each and every one gets two rounds then go buy a box of the two best shooters and go from ther or do what i do start now and buy two different packs every payday till october and see what shoots the best then sell off the rest to some one at the range or at camp to test in thers..

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Well, if your buying the Pro-hunter with the flex-tech stock...then your talking a whole different ball game. I have the Pro-Hunter with the flex-tech stock. I has the integrated Limbsaver recoil pad plus in the stock.

I use my 12ga barrel for turkey season with Hevi-shot loads. These are mighty loads and do recoil, but the Limbsaver Pro-hunter stock takes out a bunch of it.

If this is for a small woman, I may (and it would depend on how "tough" the woman is) go with the 20ga., but anyone over 130lbs I wouldn't be afraid of the flex-tech stock system for reducing felt recoil.

MHO

Dave

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Mine strongly prefers Federal Premiums with the 1oz barnes xpanders. I've owned 2 12ga slug barrels for the encore, one blued and the current one stainless. Both definitely preferred the Federal premiums, and i tried all of the following in both barrels:
- Fed prem barnes 1oz
- Fed prem barnes 3/4oz
- Hornady SST
- Lightfields
- Winchester

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
DaveT said:
Well, if your buying the Pro-hunter with the flex-tech stock...then your talking a whole different ball game. I have the Pro-Hunter with the flex-tech stock. I has the integrated Limbsaver recoil pad plus in the stock.

I use my 12ga barrel for turkey season with Hevi-shot loads. These are mighty loads and do recoil, but the Limbsaver Pro-hunter stock takes out a bunch of it.

If this is for a small woman, I may (and it would depend on how "tough" the woman is) go with the 20ga., but anyone over 130lbs I wouldn't be afraid of the flex-tech stock system for reducing felt recoil.

MHO

Dave
I've been shooting Buckhammers out of my 12ga PH. It has the Flex-Tech stock. Recoil is impressive but not unmanageable. I've been told that the 20 is ballistically superior, but I got a great deal on the 12

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
I have a TC pro Hunter 50 cal. The innovative Flex-Tech stock & integrated Limbsaver recoil pad cushions the recoil greatly even with stout loads.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i just bought a new tc prohunter rifled 12 ga slug barrel. WOW impressed sub moa at 100 yds hornady SST's the recoil is there but what i actually expected it to be worse. I did also shoot remington copper solids that had much less recoil but id rather have a bullet that flatins out at 150 yds then 50 yds......

this barrel outshoots some of my rifles.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Sad that all of the sabots are so expensive to shoot. Just to do normal range test on 4 or 5 brands can be a lot of $$$$$$$. Wow $17.00 for a box of 5 sabots...$14.00 for a box of 5 Hastings....
Like the Wal-Mart $3.49 for a box of 5 Foster 20 gauge slugs better.
Wonder how the cheaper Foster's shoot in the Encore barrel?

I would have to say that if I was going to get an Encore slug barrel that I would get the 20 gauge not the 12. Just look how big a 20 gauge slug is? Anyway easier to stay on target with a 20 gauge slug vs the tremendous kick of a 12 gauge slug...
If I was going to get the 12 barrel just might be better to get the Prohunter 28 inch barrel and make sure you have the stock that absorbs the violent kick of the 12 gauge slug or sabot....
I am going to use a 20 gauge slug gun this year...Last year I purchased numerous boxes of the sabots, Hastings, Hornadys Sabots, Rem Coppers, etc etc etc. This year I am going to sight the Mossberg 500 20 gauge pump slug gun in for 50 yards with Fosters...I already purchased them just after hunting season last year at a reduced price...
Prior to shooting the expensive sabots I shot the gun in at the 25 range with Fosters and notice how nice they grouped. When I went to the 100 yard range I hit the target but why use the $$$ sabots since I am probably going to kill a deer in a woodlot at 30 yards with Fosters.

Plan on hunting in a woodlot so I'm sure the foster once sighted in will work fine in a rifle slug barrel...

Should you go to the epensive sabots... Make sure your shotgun sports an good powered scope for the 100 yard shooting with the expensive slugs... If you have a 1.5 to 2 power scope on your gun...Stick with the cheap Fosters.....and hunt at most 50 yards.....
Shooting at 100 yards with a 1.5 scope and expensive $17.00 Hornandy sabots..... is just like throwing money away....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts