The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isnt a habitat question but Im sure the guys and gals that troll ;) this part of the forum will have an pretty good answer to my question....What is a good type of tree/shrub to plant for privacy? We are building a new house and are in the process of cleaning the lot in preparation to start digging the foundation. With needing so much room to place dirt and move around with the excavator, we removed most of the trees in the immediate area of where our house will be located and what was left on the fringes are not that great of trees for privacy (tall maples...). What is a good type of privacy tree or shrub that grows fast but not necessarily super tall or round. Something that grows 12-15 and several feet round would be great. Would like something that is green or has foliage most if not all of the year.

Also related but a secondary question, where is the best place to purchase such trees?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Deer will make an arborvitae look like a lollipop if they even get that big before the deer clean them out. A local nursery should be able to point you in the right direction on species to use and not use for what you want. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Pin oak, red bud, witch hazel are good non pines. Id plant two rows of pines and two rows of non pines. Stagger rows and plant pines on the outside. Pikes peak or mussers in indiana county carry tons of nice trees. Maybe an apple or pear tree for fruit and spring flowers.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arborvitae are the classic screeners, though I think they're somewhat obnoxious looking. Just don't plant bamboo
Why not bamboo? I just ran across some and thought that would be different. Do you have advice or experience to backup your suggestion?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Why not bamboo? I just ran across some and thought that would be different. Do you have advice or experience to backup your suggestion?
In my profession I'm geared towards native species. Most arborvitae aren't native, but they also aren't invasive. Bamboo is an invasive species that can be extremely difficult to control. It will continue to grow and expand and expand and grow and now all of a sudden your neighbor has a half acre patch. While it's perfect to suit your screening needs I can't morally suggest it. It's an Asian implant like stink bugs, asiatic carp, mile-a-minute weed, and so on and so forth. No Asian invasions are good to our Pennsylvania ecosystem.

·
Registered
683 Posts
rhododendron, azalea, holly,I had white pine I planted i trimmed back to keep small they grow fast. Some grasses grow really tall also i think pampa was one

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Plant 2 rows of Leyland cypress and stagger them about 7 ft apart...makes for a good fence and a good wind break....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts