The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 30 years my RCBS hand primer broke and I need a replacement. Looking at the priming tools on line and reading the reviews has me scratching my head so I need a vector to a reliable replacement.

I would like one that has an auto feed for primers as the one I had required me to place a single primer in the primer cup for each case.

I would also like to avoid a priming tool that requires purchasing a special set of shell holders.

Suggestions please.

Thought about buying a new press with a priming feature (Lyman Brass Smith All American) to replace the old RCBS Rock Chucker.......
:joyous:

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
I've used a Lee for a number of years. It always works but it isn't something that gets used frequently.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Last year I bought a Frankford Perfect to try
The good, adjustable primer seating depth, two, installing/swapping shellholder or changing to small-large primers is quick and easy and three, it comes with a set of shellholders and a nice padded case.

The bad, its tad on the bulky side and the spring is a bit stiff. Two, you can't single feed-seat without the tray installed otherwise the primers try to exit the tray slot.

Two mods I made, one I replaced the original spring with lighter one and two, I came up with a quick, dirty, cheap and non permanent way to switch using the tray to single hand feeding -seating primers.

Price? 'bout 60 bucks+ ship. https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/71835

Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I use a Lyman and like it. It uses standard shell holders. I had a Lee, and you need to buy Lee's primer tool shell holders. They aren't pricey, but they're tool-specific.

RCBS uses a universal jaw system. No shell holders required.

I like my Lyman, and it works well. I would have gotten the RCBS if was it available locally when I needed one, lol.

Both would serve you well, and aren't bank-breakers.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have used the RCBS hand primer for the last 15 years with no issue. I have the one with the attached primer tray(not the one that uses strips). It uses shell holders, but they also make one that's universal for a bit more money.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use the rcbs that takes primer tubes, mounted on my reloading bench. you insert the case and pull the lever down to prime and on the up swing it puts a new primer in the primer arm and repeat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Take a look at the Forster before you decide. It is a bit inconvenient in that it must be adjusted for differences in cartridge head dimensions but, once adjusted, can crank out a lot of primers and without ever touching a primer with your fingers. Another point in its favor is that it is super heavy-duty. I can't imagine it wearing out in several lifetimes.

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
I have had a primer drop tube for my RCBS Rock Chucker which I have never used and a used RCBS hand primer used very sparingly. However, after reading your post I am going to install the primer tube on the press. I just never got into the hand primer that much although RCBS did send me some free replacement parts for the unit a few months ago as per my request.

Let us know what you choose and how well you like.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had a primer drop tube for my RCBS Rock Chucker which I have never used and a used RCBS hand primer used very sparingly. However, after reading your post I am going to install the primer tube on the press. I just never got into the hand primer that much although RCBS did send me some free replacement parts for the unit a few months ago as per my request.

Let us know what you choose and how well you like.

Decided on the RCBS 90201. So far it's a great example of over engineering a simple tool into a diabolically inspired nightmare of unnecessary complicated &%$$#(. >:)

Oh, and while I am at it let me say a word about the instructions for how to put this thing together. Nahha, this is a family site so I will old my words.

in closing let me say that the designers of this thing could screw up an eraser. :grin2:

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.
Read the instructions again, this time without the aid of Mr. Jack Daniels. What a marvelous piece of equipment this is! Gave it a try out today and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Jack will do that to you......so will Jose.>:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
JimsDad,

Just FYI, I use the RCBS #90200. I also use the Rock Chucker and, this primer has met my needs for roughly 6-7 years. The same dies I use in the press, I use in the primer.

Good luck.

Chaos

1 - 13 of 13 Posts