The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was resizing some 6mm Rem brass, WW Super cases when I had one that suddenly became tight. I re-lubed the case and when I tried to size it again I bent the decapping shaft and broke the pin. I thought I had messed up so went and ordered a new set of RCBS dies. Thinking back I wondered if flash hole was too small so I tried to push pin on new die thru the flash hole. It would fit 9 cases out of 13. Anyone ever have this before? I am waiting for a return call from Winchester, going to send back the 4 cases.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sound like you have some bad brass and the flash hole is too small or off center. Try a flash hole uniforming tool and see if that fixes your issues.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to Win. customer service and am sending back the 4 cases. I just resized a box of Rem. with no problems.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I've had Remington brass with off-center holes and undersize ones like you experienced....all were 6 BRs and this was many years ago....Remington quickly replaced them...

I've had Bertram cases that came with no flash holes....or badly off-center holes....and not all in the same box...quit using them....darn shame because they make a lot of obsolete brass....had to go the route of forming my own....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I recently bought 100 new Winchester 308 cases and they were pretty bad.Some were already below the minimum trim length and some primers seated very tightly while some were a little on the loose side. I won't buy any again. I just bought 200 cases of Lapua, much better!

·
Registered
71 Posts
This should be of notice to newb reloaders. Don't take for granted that new brass is perfect. Inspect new brass just as if if were picked up off the range ground.

Fortunately, I have never had bad brass that was new.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
RCBS dies are garranteed for life. No need to buy a new die. Call RCBS and they will send you the parts to fix.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The die I ruined was a Savage die. Never heard of them before and not sure they are still manufactured. I am a big fan of RCBS.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
rflktrman said:
The die I ruined was a Savage die. Never heard of them before and not sure they are still manufactured. I am a big fan of RCBS.
Ye Gads, that die is probably almost as old as I am! IIRC they were made in the 50-60s time frame, but in any case when Savage was still in Chippewa Falls. They also made a press, the "Straight Eight".

Concerning flash holes and etc ....

You may also want to consider an inside deburring tool. They're used to remove any flash(burr from drilling) and cut a slight chamfer on the inside. The chamfer helps guide the decapping pin into the flash hole and lessen the chance of bending or breaking a decapping pin be it the flash hole or decapping rod being slightly off center.

RCBS, Lyman and I imagine a few other make them. I make them with a #1 and #2 center drills.

Some claim deburring/chamfering the inside aids consistent powder ignition, fact or fiction I don't know, but I deburr/chamfer them as part of my normal new brass prep routine. I figure although it may not help it certainly can't hurt.

Bill

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Spend the $25-30 dollars and buy a new one, GOD only knows where and how you would ever find parts for that die..must have been in the 1950's because I don't remember it from the 60's at all.. Modern brass can really be junk, but I don't think the flash could be that far out of line but then again who knows these days. I've used W/W brass and even in 6mm for years and have never really had any problem with it especially that drastic..

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
winchesterbob said:
....darn shame because they make a lot of obsolete brass....had to go the route of forming my own....
why do I get the feeling you actually enjoyed that??

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
First, never force the press when reloading. You can remove the decap rod with pin and manually fit it into the flash hole. If it is tight, just lightly hone down a few thou and try it again. The pin should slide thru easily. If it does not, get an inside deburr and clean up the hole from the inside.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sent the cases back to Win. yesterday via UPS and should know something within a few weeks. I took new pin from RCBS dies and tried to fit it into flash hole from rear and would not fit.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Did the holes look off center?? You should have been able to see that pretty easily.

Alot of times I have seeen guys break the de-priming pin because they have the pin and expander ball sitting too low.

I use a separate decapping die and then throw all my brass into the tumbler for cleaning as soon as I deprime them. Tom.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holes were centered, just appeared to be too small.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
RCBS dies are garranteed for life. No need to buy a new die. Call RCBS and they will send you the parts to fix.
I will second that thought. Some years ago, I bent a shaft and primer pin on a .30-06 resize/decap die. A phone call to RCBS and a package with the replacement parts was in the mail no charge. Great customer service, and it wasn't in Bombay, India either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts