The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help... please... I shot my .270 win on Monday ( got a cow elk... woo hoo ) anyway my second shot sounded weird. Later that afternoon I inspected my cases and noticed the primer blew out of the case. I am using Barnes TSX 150 gr. bullet, 56 grains of H4831 powder, winchester brass, federal 210 primers, with a 3.23 C.O.L. I shot this load 8 or 10 times sighting in with no problems. What could have caused this? I am confused. I have been reloading for about 1 year and never had these issues. I check the powder every ten loads with a digital scale. Thanks in advance. Triple B

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add another note the primer was completely missing from the case and I never found it. Triple B

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Could be a number of things.

Usually it's caused by over-used and/or over-worked brass. Running brass at or over max pressures will expand the primer pocket and primers will back out when fired.

Could also be excessive headspace in your gun's chamber. But that should have every primer backing out to some degree.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Congrats on the elk! I would suspect oversize primer pockets myself, how many loadings on the cases?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Oversized primer pocket from an over pressure previous load or an over pressure load with this one shot. Using a handheld priming tool check the tension of a primer going into the pocket of the other fired cases. You should feel some friction tension seating the primer. If there is no tension then the brass is no good. You can actually have a primer fall out before it gets into the chamber. If the other brass has primer tension then some kind of anomaly with that one loaded piece. A single high pressure load can enlarge the pocket.

Check for pressure signs on the other fired pieces, cratered primers, shiny ejector mark on the case head, blowby.

Here's some with over pressure signs:
Blown out and missing primer, ejector mark over second W.

Cratered primer around firing pin mark and ejector mark over the BY.

Primer blowby, edge of primer melted

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help gentlemen. I believe the brass was new. I want to go to the range and shoot a few more. If I have that issue again I guess I should pull the bullets. Take care. Triple B

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check out the over all length of cases as i have gotten new cases that needed trim and that can also cause pressure issues.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Sounds like your pockets was weak from too many reloadings. I use a lee primer tool and you get the feel after awhile when it is time to throw the case away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts