The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Another option for Summer lighting might be " I have heard that people who have the solar lights along their walkways bring them in the house for lighting when their power goes off durin a storm, might be worth a try then put them out in the daytime to get recharged."

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
We use the Honda Gasoline generator, 3000. The pain is that you don't want to leave gasoline in it, so toward the end of your trip you are constantly running out to put a few more drops in to keep power, yet let it run dry when you are done. Also isn't very nice when you are playing cards at midnight and suddenly everything goes dark because you are out of fuel. Now you have to find a flashlight and go about refilling in the dark. If I had the choice, I'd go away from the generator all together, but it was what we could afford and now we are stuck with it for a few years.

·
Registered
25,475 Posts
Ya think things can get ugly if'n the gas runs out while playing cards, finishing concrete late at night in a new house basement, is even worse.

A co-worker and I were on that detail one night. Basement had gotten full of water from a cloudburst right after we'd poured it. Long story short, we were out there half the night saving it. Generator was on the back of my work truck, about 50 feet from the basement, mud all around the job site.

When the lights went out my bud yelled, "I thought you refilled that thing before we re-fired it"? I thought he had? He was closer to the ladder, so I made him go out there in the dark and get 'er going again.

That was back in the late 80s and he still brings it up from time to time.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Also wanted to add some info I sent to a fellow forum member who bought a Yamaha generator off me recently.

Thought I'd share a couple pics of our camp electric setup just to give you something to think about if you decide you don't want to run the generator all the time.

4 US2200 6 volt batteries run in series parallel. Trojan T105s are also a very good choice.

The batteries connect to a 12 volt inverter. This is a Trace 1512(1500 watt). You'll need an inverter with a pigtail that let's you plug directly into your generator to charge the batteries. Other good name inverters would be Magnum, Outback(expensive), Exeltech and Samlex. There are connections in the inverter to run to your panel box.

You'll need a small Square D circuit box(left) and a Square D shutoff(2nd from right). We have solar so we have a combiner box 2nd from left) and a monitor which is nice to check your battery levels(Right).

If you want to get fancy, you can add a couple solar panels. We used three 120 watt panels and these keeps our batteries charged 80% of the time. Extended stay during hunting season we need to charge more with our generator. We run a tv, lights and 12 volt water pump. Panels are on the pole to the left of cabin.

If this is any interest, I can help you figure out what you need. We also have a setup for water if interested.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
This is a good place to order a tri fuel Yamaha generator if anyone is interested. You can also just order the tri fuel adapter if you already have the generator.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/ef30ise.htm

They are a authorized Yamaha Dealer so if you buy a yamaha tri - fuel generator off them, it doesn't negate the 3 year warranty(warranty good nationwide). I believe warranty is negated with Honda but never heard of anyone having an issue with a tri fuel carb besides getting the flow right.

Also nice is you can get an extended 3 years for a total of 6 years warranty for an extra $140 for the smaller generators.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use 2 Yamaha EF200is I run 1 at a time to get 1600 watts or hook together to get 4200 watts to run AC, I get 10-12 HRS on a gal of gas,I use a 750 watt inverter and 2 deep cycle batteries for night time.These are very quiet and a little cheaper than Honda,also have a 3 yr warranty.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Those 2,000 watt Yamahas are great and they even come with the cord to charge batteries.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The camp I deer hunt out of in the Adirondacks is many miles back from any paved road or power lines, the entire camp runs on propane, and in the summer, a large propane truck could make it back as long is it is dry. The camp gets about five years on a 1000 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
SuperX2,
The problem with most primitive camps is that most do not remain primitive for more than 5 years, they usually slowly become regular full blown hunting & fishing camps, with septic tanks and some kind of permenent energy for running the camp. The roads are usually up graded or maintained, we do however have a lots of camps on roads
that have no winter maintance here in Pa, which is something to take into consideration when talking about propane as the major fuel for heating a winter hunting camp. The gas generator may cost more to run, however gas is more available here in our back woods towns.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spoke with my co-worker today regarding a basic 12V LED set up to run lights.

In his A-Frame, he is currently running 14 LED light fixtures. Each fixture draws 1/2A (6W) & are on switches operating 2 lights/switch. If you do not take into consideration the loss from cabling & connections (small) you could run his entire place on a standard 115 A/hr battery for ~16 hours straight. Now consider that the lights will likely not be on for longer than a few hours per day assuming you’ll using natural light during the day. Also included in this set up is a rather inexpensive solar panel charger from Harbor Freight. This is a 50W panel peak power. So, you can assume (P=VI) that at max output & efficiency that that panel is replacing ~ 4A/hr back to the battery. It's unlikely you'll be getting 4A/hr output of that solar panel, but even if you consider you get an average of 1A/hr through out the day, you'll pretty much be replacing the energy you would use in the evening.
The solar charger from HF also includes a regulator to cut the output of the panels when the battery bank is fully charged. I don’t trust anything from Harbor freight though…so buyers beware.
rrroae has a very nice set up to run his entire camp, but that's gotta be pretty salty as well. However it sure would be nice to have all those features.
Figure 100 bucks for a cheap solar panel, 100 for a deep cell & $30/LED Fixture & you could have your camp up and running with lights. Rig up a cheap inverter & you could easily power a radio or other small electronics.
The LED's in my co-workers camp were bought from superbrightleds.com. Specifically the Truck dome lights:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/truck_lights.htm#tdl-w36

These have been updated since he bought them. You'll see most are drawing a quarter amp. He has 30 LED’s/fixture, the minimum here is 36. They have a number of different diffusion lenses as well, depending on your brightness preference.
Good luck which ever route you go!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I have a camp where I used a small gas generator. The sound of it was really annoying. I still have the generator but I haven't used it in a few years. The only time I think I will ever use it is for running power tools.

I found that I really had no need for the generator or power at all really. I now just use a couple coleman lanterns to light the place. I bring a deep cycle battery that runs and charges radio, cell phone, dvd player, etc. the longest I stay is about 2 weeks at a time but I feel pretty comfortable without electricity. I cook and heat the place with 20 lb propane tanks. I have no fridge so I bring a big marine cooler.

If you have enough sunlight the solar system might be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Generators suck, so many camps near mine run them 24/7, real nice outdoor experience. We have no idea why they run them so much, electric fridge?
We have a 320 gal propane tank, can go 2 years between fills. Dometic propane fridge, which is excellent. Propane stove and lights. And small supplemental to wood propane wall heater.
Our main power is two 80w solar panels charging two 4D batterys. I have separate charge controllers for each, true redundency. Use one for ac thru a 700w inverter, one for my dc system. Amazon 80w solar panels are dirt cheap, around $250.
I use CFL lights, both AC and DC, about 15w, give the light of a 60w incadescent. Outside cfl spotlights as well. Can power tv, radio, everything except high draw items like a microwave, vacum and hair dryer. 12v pump for showers. I haven't drained the batteries yet, even watching 6 hours offootball in winter. The new 20" HD tv's use little power, around 70w.
We do run a generator rarely when high power is needed, we looked at a high powered inverter but the cost and wiring needed wern't justified.
For a generator we went with a cheap 3kw Champion, china made but great US service, and very quiet. Looked at the expensive Honda's and Yamaha's but for the price I did not want to leave them at camp to be stolen.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Springer,
I Know a lot of rough neck huntin/fishing cabins that still use Colman Lanterns and Stoves and heat with wood and coal, and the guys like it that way, some still have out houses.
Its all in how you want to enjoy the out doors. Different strokes for different folks.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Greybeard, like the sounds of your setup. Those little Champion generators are pretty darn good for the money. We run mostly Yamaha and Honda but had the Champion for a bit(gave to brother for his camp) and I was surprised how fuel efficient and quiet they were. Not quite as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha but pretty close.

As for tv's, here's an excellent guide showing true electrical usage. We have a 46" Sony Led LCD and it uses 56 watts on eco settings measured with a kill-o-watt meter.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Thats a pretty nice chart, don't see any as small as my 20" Sanyo so hopefully I'm less than 45w. Nice thing about the HDTV LCD sets is the picture is perfect thru the inverter. Had hum bars on the old CRT set.
The Champion is actually a 3.5kw, already had a issue, but minor. Fuel shut off didn't stop fuel flow totally. The 1-800 number was answered immediately by a real person speaking english and the replacement part arrived 4 days later. Didn't even have to verify purchase. We'll see if it lasts as long as my Generac which I brought home for a back up.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Old greybeard,
I did the same thing for a while, simply unplugged the generator and took it home with me, had the same type electrical Conversion box at both the mountain home and the PHA home, worked great. I finally got tired of lugging the generator back and forth, and purchased another electric start 10K for the PHA.
RGD/Dave

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
At our camp we use marine batteries. We have an out house with a composting toilet. 2 batteries last for a long weekend witout any problems. We have propane stove & heater.
I don't like running a generator(noise), if we stay longer we take a small generator to charge the batteries for an hour then it is off.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts