·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the average prices of:

Shoulder mount deer
Full body fox/coyote
Tanned hides for fox/coyote

I've gone to a few different taxidermists and prices seem to vary greatly. Just curious if I'm getting ripped or a deal.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
Prices for shoulder mount deer run in the $350 to $600 range. Most important thing is to find someone who does good work within a time frame that you are comfortable with. Don't just go with the cheapest. Also just because someone is expensive doesn't mean that they are good either.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Go look at someone's work and decide if the work is worth the price. There are some real artists out there and you have to pay the price to get that kind of work. On the other hand there are some guys who charge the same rate and don't do such a good job just because that's what the competition charges. And since the Dept of Ag took over regulation, there is no test any more and all a prospective taxidermist needs to do is get a sales tax license and hang up a sign. So it is up to the buyer to make sure he does his due diligence before laying his money down. You only get one chance to get it right.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'll echo what cspot and gdaddy said, take some time and go to a few studios / shops, ultimately, you are the one who has to be happy with your decision. I went 20 minutes away for my last whitetail shoulder mount and paid $550, I drove over an hour for a mallard and paid $250, turn around time was about a year for both, and yes, I will use both again

·
Registered
339 Posts
G-Daddy said:
And since the Dept of Ag took over regulation, there is no test any more and all a prospective taxidermist needs to do is get a sales tax license and hang up a sign.

Really? When did that change?

·
Registered
339 Posts
NoMojo said:
Tanned furs at a taxi fox 80-100, yote 100-150
If you send your fur to a company like Moyle's, the cost is only about $20 to tan a fox. Anybody that charges 80-100 is ripping off their customer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just depends of what the taxidermist does. Did he skin it, salt it, pickle it, tan it and break it in his shop? If he did all the work, I would expect he would charge more than twenty dollars. Especially if it was skinned down to the claws. I'm pretty sure there would be shipping charges added to the tanning charge at a tannery.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rain Man said:
NoMojo said:
Tanned furs at a taxi fox 80-100, yote 100-150
If you send your fur to a company like Moyle's, the cost is only about $20 to tan a fox. Anybody that charges 80-100 is ripping off their customer.
or they are charging for their time,salt,knives ,fleshing beam or machines,shipping costs,electricity.

·
Registered
18,201 Posts
from Moyles web site:

1.Be sure skins are thoroughly fleshed and salt dried before shipping.

(Furbearers for intact fur dressing may be sent trapper dried.)
WE DO NOT ACCEPT FRESH OR FROZEN SKINS.

Do not forget to split and dry the tail!

2.Skins must be completely dry upon receipt or you risk spoilage. Damp salted hides will spoil in storage or shipping.

3.Taxidermy specimens must have all lips and ears turned, tails split, and paws fleshed out.

4.Dry all capes and mounts with the ears folded down toward the center of the cape. This will help prevent them from being damaged during shipping.

5.Fold all skins into pieces smaller than 4 ft. x 4 ft. or they will not fit in our storage bins.

your taxidermist does all this "extra" work, that's why they charge 80 to 100 dollars, unless you know what you are doing

·
Banned
649 Posts
Time isn't free, no matter who or where you do business with!

·
Registered
339 Posts
bohunr said:
your taxidermist does all this "extra" work, that's why they charge 80 to 100 dollars, unless you know what you are doing
If the taxidermist is any good, then skinning, fleshing, and putting it on a board takes 20-30 minutes or less. Add in shipping and tanning (roughly $30 combined) and that taxi is making $50-$70 for a half hour of work. If there really are suckers who would pay that, then it looks like I'll be a taxi shortly.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
If the taxidermist is any good, then skinning, fleshing, and putting it on a board takes 20-30 minutes or less. Add in shipping and tanning (roughly $30 combined) and that taxi is making $50-$70 for a half hour of work. If there really are suckers who would pay that, then it looks like I'll be a taxi shortly.

It's a skill right ? Ever price rates for mechanics ? Roofers ? Siders ? concrete finishers ?

I just had an HVAC dude come over 2 days ago. Lifted a plastic pipe off my furnace, told me I had a clog of stinkbugs, and told me I'd only have to pay for a service call. I GLADLY wrote him the $60 check for his 15 minutes of time. I had heat, and my toes were starting to get cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Well, if my "gazinta's" are right, forget about becoming a Taxi. Become an HVAC dude. They make someswhere 'round $240/hr.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Rain Man said:
bohunr said:
I want to see you skin , turn ears, split lips and eyes and turn the feet in 20-30 minutes! Isn't happening!

·
Banned
649 Posts
Taxidermy industry is priced well below it should be industry wide, it's an art and we should get compensated for it ! Taxidermist like to work for peanuts , not all of them ,but a majority do, if they actually sat down and figured out there overhead and labor they would cry! Part time or full time doesn't matter you should get compensated for your talent, I've seen some crappy carpenters get paid the trade rate even though I wouldn't have them build me a sandbox!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts