The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, my neighborhood auto repair place quoted me a price of $780.00 do do a state inspection + complete oil change (filteres and all) + replace the rear brakes on my Jeep. Now, I am not one of these guys who is real familiar with auto upkeep prices but this quote strikes me as very high. Am I beeing too conservative?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
rear brakes are about $30 for a good pair, both sides. If theyre disc you can do them in about 10 mins each side, if they are drum maybe 30mins. Oil change full synthetic with the best stuff maybe $70(BEST OF THE BEST), state inspection usually about $30. Most shops charge $60/hr.

Using conventional oil, simple hand tools and doing it yourself you could do all the filers, oil change and brakes for under $100.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I would highly recommend a second opinion. Seems to me that is very very high. I did my trucks inspection, brakes, tranny fluid and a couple other repairs at my dealership last summer and the price came out to like 3oo. That was with quite a few repairs.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Sounds quite a bit high to me. Inspections here run around 35 bucks on average with emissions the same. Brakes arent bad to do just take your time and go slow. Drums a few words of advice if you havent dont hem before then put both rear wheels on jack stands and do 1 at a time but take the other drum off to give you a reference on how the springs and e brake hook up should go.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
jimsdad said:
Folks, my neighborhood auto repair place quoted me a price of $780.00 do do a state inspection + complete oil change (filteres and all) + replace the rear brakes on my Jeep. Now, I am not one of these guys who is real familiar with auto upkeep prices but this quote strikes me as very high. Am I beeing too conservative?
Who would that be?

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
I'm suspecting both rotors are being replaced. Still a very high price.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If the rotors can be turned, $8-$10 max, ea., at least around here. Most newer rotors don't have enough meat on them these days to make it worth turning.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you oughtta be able to replace both rotors, all lines and master cylinder for less than that. they're ripping you off. pep boys tried to take me one time for around $800 for some work. took it to another place and it didn't need half the stuff they said.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sounds like they padded the bill.
Lets say: 100 for rotor + pad ( similar $ for drum/shoe)
50 for pretty decent oil and filter
30 inspection
20 brake fluid -probably didn't even include changing the brake fluid in the bill (it's overlooked by many)

for an oil/brake change 3 hrs (for a snail) @ 60/hr = 180
180+100+20+30+50 = 380 (I'd consider that even high)
I'm gonna say he fluffed the bill to the tune of at least 400 dollars(probably more).

A lot of places are doing this now because they can get away with it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
It certainly pays to be able to do this kind of stuff yourself. If you cant, education on the parts and labor rates will save your hide. I hate to see people get ripped off by mechanics. Glad you asked JD, I'd say you were definitely on the track to get swindled.

·
Registered
22,063 Posts
Outrageous. This is what you would expect to pay for these repairs if your car was a Rolls Royce.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not going to name names. While I appreciate the advise and guidance I have gotten on this issue my reccomendation is to get an up front price quote from shop and see if it makes sense prior to giving the okay to do the work. I have elected to look elsewhere to get another quote before I have the work done.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
It sounds like he only wants your business if he can make a killing from doing it.
Is this a busy shop that is overrun with people waiting?

I knew a carpenter who would do what he called "drive by bids". If he was too busy and didn't need the job, he'd bid an out rageous number and only take the job if it was accepted. He knew he'd have to put in alot of extra hours to keep up and didn't need the headach for stanard rates.

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
That would be outrageous even at dealer prices.
You can do better elsewhere. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts