The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couple of months ago I erected my new 360 tower stand with the help of my brother, my brother-in-law and a very god friend. Since it is about 75 yards from my old spot I need to cut some new shooting lanes in the thick stuff as well as rig up my deer lift to make it easier to get my deer in the front basket of my ATV. The basket is high off the ground and I kill some big bodied deer where I hunt and I decided I was done struggling with a big limp deer body getting it in the basket so I devised a way to do it. I bought a screw in tree stand step and a pulley and gambrel so I can hoist the deer up and drive under it and lower it down into the basket. My rope tie off , (I used a 6 inch iron boat cleat),is close enough to where the deer will e so I can guide it into the basket as I lower the deer. I stood on the seat of the ATV to screw in the tree step at the right height so I can hang the pulley and gambrel after I kill my deer, gut it and drag it with the the tree with the screw in step hanger. I got it rigged and hung the pulley to make sure I could do it alone and it will work great, I can't wait to try it with a deer. I then started cutting small trees and saplings with my chain saw until it got so hot already at 9am I decided I had enough, I was soaked with sweat. I will have to go back and finish up when it isn't so hot and probably again for a touch up after I get in the stand and scope it out. A couple of pictures of the rig, I didn't drop the gambrel all the way down so it is a little hard to see.

·
Super Moderator
12,628 Posts
I have found over the years it is easy to load a deer onto the rear rack of my ATV by placing trash bags on the side of the seat and another up to and on my factory rack. I just line the deer up and grab it's antlers and pull it right up the slippery trash bags with the smooth fur forward then simply tie it off in place. For years I was struggling to lift the deer up, get the front half in place then have it slide off as I tried to swing up the rear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's a good idea and a great looking blind . I use a ATV carryall that fits in a 2in receiver on the back of my ATV. It's a lot easier to get it on from the ground than to try to put on the rack's . My problem comes when its time to get it in the back of my truck. There I mounted a remote control winch in the back of my truck , pull out a ramp I made , wrap the cable around the deer push the button and up into the bed it goes.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good idea and a great looking blind . I use a ATV carryall that fits in a 2in receiver on the back of my ATV. It's a lot easier to get it on from the ground than to try to put on the rack's . My problem comes when its time to get it in the back of my truck. There I mounted a remote control winch in the back of my truck , pull out a ramp I made , wrap the cable around the deer push the button and up into the bed it goes.
You need one of these, too bad you are across the state.
For sale, pulley lift system for deer loading into your truck.
Brand new, I bought it just before I bought my ATV and never used it. Use it to gut or skin your deer or to skin it or put it in your truck bed alone without having lift it in. $65.00 picked up or meet at a close location. See below.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...ystem?a=681080
When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Your getting "soft" on us John:grin2: But! I know your pain.I have a ---- of a time putting deer on my atv rack. I'm not talking monster ones either:sad: You should see me trying to get it in the back of my truck! What a joke. Getting older is not funny:crying: Work smarter not harder hasn't kick in yet

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Softer or smarter, not sure which, but I did learn pain hurts and I am going to try to avoid it f possible.:D

Reactions: USAFRET and bohunr

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I couple of months ago I erected my new 360 tower stand with the help of my brother, my brother-in-law and a very god friend. Since it is about 75 yards from my old spot I need to cut some new shooting lanes in the thick stuff as well as rig up my deer lift to make it easier to get my deer in the front basket of my ATV. The basket is high off the ground and I kill some big bodied deer where I hunt and I decided I was done struggling with a big limp deer body getting it in the basket so I devised a way to do it. I bought a screw in tree stand step and a pulley and gambrel so I can hoist the deer up and drive under it and lower it down into the basket. My rope tie off , (I used a 6 inch iron boat cleat),is close enough to where the deer will e so I can guide it into the basket as I lower the deer. I stood on the seat of the ATV to screw in the tree step at the right height so I can hang the pulley and gambrel after I kill my deer, gut it and drag it with the the tree with the screw in step hanger. I got it rigged and hung the pulley to make sure I could do it alone and it will work great, I can't wait to try it with a deer. I then started cutting small trees and saplings with my chain saw until it got so hot already at 9am I decided I had enough, I was soaked with sweat. I will have to go back and finish up when it isn't so hot and probably again for a touch up after I get in the stand and scope it out. A couple of pictures of the rig, I didn't drop the gambrel all the way down so it is a little hard to see.

Nice set up, hope you have much success out of it.:smile2:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
WW,

Aren't you supposed to find a log behind some bushes to do what you are doing in those last two pics????? And I think you forgot the first step in the process....hope you had an extra pair of britches with you.....I thought this was a G rated site? lol......

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:grin2: I squatted down so my buddy could get a picture of the Gambrel and pulley.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I like it, but take a look at a rope ratchet instead of the pulley. Cheap and simply a one way pulley. No tie off required.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I already lifted some stuff around 100 lbs and I have no trouble holding it after it is off the ground with one hand. If the rig I made doesn't work out I could go that route.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts