The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My husband and I are deer hunters, but thought it would be fun to squirrel hunt because we see so many in the woods and I hear they are good eating. I know there are tons of recipes and I am comfortable skinning them--been watching youtube-but not sure about cutting up the meat. Do you just keep the bone in and keep the front legs, hinds and loins? Do you soak it in salt water first or just freeze it like that? Do you cook it like that and then debone it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks HPA memebers!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Generally, after skinning, you can quarter them or leave them whole bone-in and freeze. It would be very difficult to debone a squirrel plus it would leave too much to waste. There is no need to soak any game in saltwater unless it is badly shot up. You can usually get bloody bruised areas clean by washing in cold water.
Cook the squirrel bone-in. Fried squirrel is hard to beat. I usually parboil them for about 1 hour with sliced onion. Then remove to cool. Season with salt and pepper. Coat with egg wash and roll in mashed saltine crakers and brown in oil. It's that simple!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I cut them in half, (after skinning and gutting), then remove the front and back legs, above receipe is good and as you said ther are many other receipes out there, experiment and have fun, and don't forget to parboil the bigger ones as they are tougher.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
we like to soak them and all small game in salt water and a little baking soda for a day. it helps clean them up.
also make sure you get the glands from the "arm pits".
to fry them do as already posted or sometimes we put them in a slowcooker until the meat will fall off the bone and make pot pies!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
bowhunterang said:
Do you just keep the bone in and keep the front legs, hinds and loins? Do you soak it in salt water first or just freeze it like that? Do you cook it like that and then debone it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks HPA memebers!
After skinning and cleaning I separate the front legs from the rib cage by cutting under the shoulder blades. I separate the rear legs from the back at the hip joint by cutting into the joint then twisting the leg until the femur head pops out of the hip socket(very little effort required). I cut into the backbone behind the last rib, break the back and separate it from the rib cage which is discarded.

If I'm going to prepare the meat with in the next few days I soak it in salt water. If not I just wrap it in freezer paper, label it and save for later.

Most times I fry the pieces in butter and serve on the bone but have some recipes where I cook it off the bone and use it as an ingredient.

I do rabbits the same way.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I cut into 6 peices, legs and back cut in two, remove ribs as the above post. Ilike to make mine like I make rabbits. Cook pieces in salted water with carrot and celery and onions cut into large peices. Skim scum off water as it cooks. Then remove from water and dry. Shake in a bag with salt and pepper and fry in bacon grease till golden brown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts