The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your go to baits for the cats? I love fishing with chicken liver. Last year a friend and I fished side by side and he used chicken hearts. The catch numbers were about the same. They are also a lot easier to keep on the hook.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Look into garlic salted livers. They work pretty good and stay on hook better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you fish livers and hearts side-by-side, it's possible your stinky livers were helping create the scent to draw in fish that just found the heart first and ate it. I've never seen any other chicken organ perform as well as livers.

My favorite bait is cut-bait anymore, cut up suckers/fallfish seems to produce the best for me.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A good way to keep chicken liver on your hook without using trebels, is to get some of the string wrap they use for spawn sacks, put the liver on your hook and wrap it a few times with the string wrap( no need to tie it) it will stay on your hook cast after cast.

·
Registered
445 Posts
TheRedBaron88 said:
My favorite bait is cut-bait anymore, cut up suckers/fallfish seems to produce the best for me.

X2

But if you can't get suckers just get some sunnies and cut them into 3 pieces...I usually have at least 1 rod with a live on also just to see what they're hungry for

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
20 yrs ago I fished for cats on the Susky with a group of guys.They all used a whole,shelled,raw,shrinp on a large hook.I tried big minnows,hot dogs,chicken livers & hearts,big crawlers and numerous stinkbaits.I was outfished every time till I gave in and used shrimp.
We tried older shrimp as it was cheaper.They didn't like it and went back to fresh shrimp.
I will say it really stays on the hook well when casting!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Shrimp wprks well, marinate in garlic for even better results..

Last week - Susky above Pittston:

Nightwalker on Catfish Rig - Circle Hook.

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
Bait depends on species to a certain extent...

I used o fish night crawlers, chicken liver, stink bait, hot dogs, shrimp etc...worked great for smaller channel cats...

Caught my first flathead on a ton of night crawlers...i started to learn more about catching them because the fight was awesome and the size was bigger than most my channel cats...

I started using live creek chubs and started doing well for 10-15lb flatheads...

Need to get back after them now that I'm back in PA...this year is the first I've fished PA since 2009...

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
A good way to keep chicken liver on your hook without using trebels, is to get some of the string wrap they use for spawn sacks,
Where can you get that type of string ? Would sewing thread work about as well ?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
i think he is talking about the netting used to make egg sacs..

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
PANFISH! Flatheads LOVE panfish. If you want BIG catfish use LIVE panfish. Rockbass, bluegill, sunfish.... Doesn't matter. Upwards of a foot long works. Cut bait, stink bait, worms, dead bait will get Channels and small Flathead here on the Susky. But big predator fish are caught on other big fish!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Embarrassing Confession:

when I first started fishing in upstate NY for Steelhead - before I knew about the Magic Thread,,

I would sit at camp and secure the egg sac mesh with needle & thread...

Man - did I take a busting from my buds when they found out..
They started bringing socks with holes in them to camp - for me to fix for them !!!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I believe it is a another name for a night crawler (worm)
Nightwalker... not in the Western, PA fishing lexicon.
Reckon knowing the term may come in handy if I ever find myself buying bait east of Hbg.
Thx.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Well, I bought a tub of chicken livers yesterday, and it was between letting it fester in the sun for a couple days, or mince up some Garlic to add to it, so I went the Garlic route. They say that adding garlic to liver, or even your nightcrawlers, will increase chances.

Also, watched a youtube video of a guy that uses the tubular medical gauze as a sack to wrap around the liver. Forms like a netting, and you kind of just thread the hook through it a few times. The holes are larger than a panty hose, or a regular type gauze. I have to find some of that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Look into salting your garlic livers, works good.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Blue gills, gizzard shad, chicken liver, and shrimp. I like using cut bluegills for channels. If I use a whole one. I'll fillet it, but leaving the fillets attached to it so they flop around and really get the scent and oils moving. Had great success with them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts