The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
There is no doubt that it can be frustrating to wait years upon years without getting drawn for a PA elk tag. But for the intended purpose of what it's supposed to do, our system is pretty good.

I do not ever entertain hopes of getting drawn for a second tag, but I'm sure going to apply.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Reading about the way some of the Western points systems work was really discouraging to me looking for a first time hunt without paying for landowner tags. OTC options are nice, but can present challenges. The "bonus point" system PA employs really isn't that bad. Gives extra chances to those applying every year, but also a random draw allowing newer people in.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
So with the current system, someone who drew a tag last year has the same chance to draw again as the applicant with 10 "PP's"? That is the down side of the present system. Perhaps a 10 year waiting period before being eligible to apply again?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
So with the current system, someone who drew a tag last year has the same chance to draw again as the applicant with 10 "PP's"? That is the down side of the present system. Perhaps a 10 year waiting period before being eligible to apply again?
PA's system is actually bonus points. Guy with 10 bonus points, has 10 chances. I have zero bonus points. If I apply this year I'll have one chance. Like buying raffle tickets, you have x number of chances.

True preference points are basically just wait your turn in line. Which the obvious downside is some people never get to the front of the line if demand exceeds supply.

Going to be interesting to see what they do with the archery tags because if that goes through I'll apply for the first time. Will long time applicants be able to jump into the archery pool with their bonus points or will we all start anew?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think it currently states if you draw a bull tag, you are not eligible again for 5 years, however those who draw a cow tag can apply the following year.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
PA's system is actually bonus points. Guy with 10 bonus points, has 10 chances. I have zero bonus points. If I apply this year I'll have one chance. Like buying raffle tickets, you have x number of chances.

True preference points are basically just wait your turn in line. Which the obvious downside is some people never get to the front of the line if demand exceeds supply.

Going to be interesting to see what they do with the archery tags because if that goes through I'll apply for the first time. Will long time applicants be able to jump into the archery pool with their bonus points or will we all start anew?

Yep, I haven't put in for PA elk for years (maybe never, can't remember) but will if they do the archery one. Will be interested to see how they handle that.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm really okay either way. I can see a justification for guys with max bonus points wanting to jump into the archery pool. Myself, I am kicking myself now feeling I should have had the foresight to know an archery tag would eventually come and built points as cheap as they are. I can also see a justification that these are new tags so points should start anew. The only thing I would not be okay with is if points could be applied to both. I.e. 10 points can apply to apps for archery but still apply for rifle. That would be absurd.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It’s not a new tag if they take it from number of tagged issued. So my bonus points since should count no matter what tag I put in for. Just because people didn’t put in before doesn’t mean the GC needs to change the system

·
Registered
22,637 Posts
so now they are going to take the same number of tags and divide it up between seasons ? thats just dumb.

i thought you could already use a bow, handgun, rifle or muzzleloader if you wanted to ? why have separate seasons ? its not like there are thousands of hunters roaming the woods to ruin your set up !!!

if they use the same allotment then my preference points should count for either drawing AND...just like Doe tags, the Elk tag should be good for Archery or Rifle !!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It shouldn't be hard for them to manipulate (oops, did i say that word?) the draw if you are applying for an archery elk tag only to see how many PP's you have on the books.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
so now they are going to take the same number of tags and divide it up between seasons ? thats just dumb.

i thought you could already use a bow, handgun, rifle or muzzleloader if you wanted to ? why have separate seasons ? its not like there are thousands of hunters roaming the woods to ruin your set up !!!

if they use the same allotment then my preference points should count for either drawing AND...just like Doe tags, the Elk tag should be good for Archery or Rifle !!
This>>>>>>>>

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Is there an official site where it explains how the lottery works ?

I know that if I apply for a certain area and if my name is drawn and all of the allotments for that area are given out, I would be assigned a different area But what about Bull or cow preferences ?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You only would be assigned a different area if you checked off any area when you applied, you have a choice of bull cow or any elk, if you chose a sex and that sex number has been reached and you get drawn and you did not choose any sex you get nothing. The application is pretty self explanatory. I applied for 17 years, selecting any area and either sex because it improved my odds . You can also apply for a point only if you know you will not be available to hunt if you get drawn.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts