The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-weight: bold"> How important a role do you think, predators have, in changing the Gobbling & general turkey activities during the spring season??

I'm seeing allot of changes.....</span>

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
long beard said:
A TON!!!! Both winged and four legged.
Agreed, along with the 2 legged variety which are normally found sitting on a padded seat (which can also be heated in newer models) of a vehicle, while calling out the window or constantly harassing flocks close to roads
My property is all but useless for turkeys because of all three types of predators mentioned.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've noticed a decrease of gobbling activity on the land I hunt over the past few years. The property gets minimal hunting pressure. But I have moved in on plenty of roosted birds and noticed they will just sit on the limb and spit and drum. These birds seem to stay roosted until the hens approach. I sometimes wonder if this is due to increased numbers of predators

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Where I hunt there is a good number of coyotes in the area and I noticed last year the gobbling all but stopped most of the season.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
a few friends of mine hunted Kansas and said the coyotes were abundant and vocal, it didn't really affect gobbling though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i would generally say yes, but last year the area with the most coyotes was the one i had the most gobbling in. however, these birds wouldn't come to a call. i saw coyotes 3 times while set up on birds. but all other places, i think it effects gobbling negatively.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
When those coyotes learn to hunt the birds it becomes a huge factor. I think coyotes are opportunists and will take a turkey by luck once in a while but, once they Learn the game it's on like donkey kong. Wings scattered through the woods.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
A few years ago I had to make a decision. I had a good bird coming to my call and, off to my left, a coyote belly to the ground coming also, looking for that hen. I said to myself, "What the H, I can get a bird another day." The coyote didn't make it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My turkey hunting partner also traps for furbearers. I told him I had a new call to try that sounds like a hen being mated, & that some reviews say the gobblers come running in while others say the only thing it brought in for them were coyotes & foxes. He said, either way he'll be happy.
I figure if we don't have any luck with our traditional calling, we can try the new call & he can predator hunt if it doesn't bring a gobbler in for us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts