The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, a lot of southern states are on right now for turkey. Here in California, we have a two-day junior hunt, the Saturday and Sunday before the general season. Our general season opens next Saturday here. Last two years I called in toms for two juniors, but this year was different. How many of you have had close encounters with the predator kind while calling in longbeards? I've called in as many as five coyotes at once, with the lead one tackling my hen decoy like a defensive back on a wide receiver. Here's my encounter that happened Saturday. Have any of you had to shoot a coyote? Close call with this big Kitty. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/mar/23/turkey-hunt-mountain-lion/

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Wow, i'm glad we don't have those big cats around here, or do we

I've never had a coyote come into my set for turkeys but have heard others have.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
While hunting rio's in Kansas with my dad we had a bobcat sneek in to within 10 yards of us. Thats nothing like having a cougar sneeking up on you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was deer hunting around Warren a couple years back, I had a pack of coyotes howling at the moon as I walked out. Very eerie because they seemed to be getting closer as I walked. Never saw them, but wondered if the three shots I had in my 30-06 would be enough. I've heard the scream of a lion when I was deer hunting out here, and it sent the hair up on the back of my neck. A buddy and I heard one turkey hunting last spring, too, but never saw it. Now this. But I wonder, too, if these cats aren't making their way into PA. I've heard all the rumors and stories related to it. But until you get a dead one, you likely won't know. I promise not to bring one out from California, unless it's a mounted one. They're protected here so we can't even bring a taxidermist mount into the state. That's how screwed up it is.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I was working a hot gobbler gobbling the whole way in through a little hollow in front of me. I was sitting on a hillside tucked in some nice cover. The gobbler suddenly shut down. As I sat there trying to figure out why he suddenly went quiet I was scanning the area, looked over my left shoulder and there she was perched on the top of the hill about 40 yrds behind me. She was also scanning the hollow for that gobbler. I spun and put one shot of #6 Hevi in her neck. 32lb female.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would say I average 1 coyote a year called in, I've called in a couple bobcats as well. I shot this joker last year, I was always hesitant because I didn't think #6 would do the job...guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I killed a big male black yote a couple years back that was about to tackle my hen decoy. I actually think I got some pellets in the decoy at the shot.

As he was about to hit the decoy in full sprint I shot, a load of lead 5's in the neck at 25 yards put a hurting on him. He rolled at the shot and kept running not even skipping a beat. Found him about 50 yards past that in the creek bed.
That was my first ever coyote experience, nice and close

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I've called in two or three foxes and one coyote. The coyote snuck in behind me and spotted me trying to reposition the gun and took off before I ever had a chance to get a shot off.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had been trying to locate a Tom all morning when a Hen flew into a tree above me and putted her head off for 5 min or so. After she flew off I coyote howled once, still trying to locate a tom. A few mins later a female yote appeared 20 yds off to my left and walked out front of my barrell. Her last turkey hunt!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Four or five years ago I was set up on a small knoll at the edge of a field with 2 decoys. At first light, I let out a tree call and 2 coyotes charged the closest decoy from out of nowhere. One either brushed it or ran right by it before realizing it was fake. They both kept on running. It was so quick I couldn't even shoulder the shotgun for a shot. This past deer season I watched a coyote try to sneek in on a flock coming off the roost. I went back after deer season with my FoxPro and .17 Fireball and convinced that one to come home with me.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Called in a HUGE bobcat 3 years ago that I could have reached out and touched with my gun barrel. Scared the bejesus out of me! Wasn't sure what was approaching from behind my tree. It kept getting closer and sounding bigger. Finally when it was a few steps I had to turn my head around slowly and look. It never did see me. Just kept walking. Can't believe it didn't go check out my 2 decoys.

·
Registered
495 Posts
A couple years ago we bumped some deer in a field when walking in to hunt spring gobbler. An hour or so later I caught a glimpse of movment and at first thought it was deer. But it was coyote and it passed me and then turned in the woods and came back. I missed the first shot and rolled him with the second shot. I'll try to dig up the photo and post it. I was close on two other ocassions when hunting turkeys and should have shot those as well.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I had fox sneek in on me last year. A few years back I called a coyote in but I had my bow and missed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've held off on shooting the 'yotes because I always felt it would end my turkey hunt. No more. They will die now.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I had a coyote, years ago in PA, come in to my turkey box call. Shot a number of coyotes that must have been listening to my deer call. The call certainly didn't scare them off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts