The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across an interesting scenario the other day...didnt hunt there...but may in the near future..

i found an area i want to setup and call for fox/yotes...

i know baiting is legal for yotes but not foxes...

problem is, there is a dead cow laying in the pasture...not sure if the farmer plans to do much more with it...ive seen them in the same area in years prior...

would it be legal for me to hunt in that area and take fox?? i could understand that could be consider baiting...

but im also thinking it may fall under the "normal farming practices" as the farmer put the cow there...i didnt put it there...but i "could" be seen as taking advantage of bait...but, if a farmer has a mineral tub or feed trough in a pasture, thats normal farming practices and i can take game off them if i want...so im guessing the cow is the same and im legal...just wanted to clarify...

anyone?? thanx

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx...thats my guess...hoping a WCO would clarify to save me from calling an office...

funny thing is i been watching it daily when i pass it deer hunting and although i KNOW 10000% sure theres yotes and fox in the area, nothing has touched it...maybe after a warm day and getting some of the smell in the air, they will start hitting on it...

i dont have intentions to sit over it as a bait station...but i know the critters are in the area...so i will be calling in the general area if i get the OK...if i dont, i can still take yotes...

·
Registered
730 Posts
i dont believe there are any regulations regarding shooting fox over a dicarded carcass....trapping yes, it muist be covered, but not hunting. Sve yourself the wait and call the regional office...you'll still get the correct answer quicker than waiting for a WCO to find this thread

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Actually I believe it is unlawful for a farmer to allow a cow carcass to lay in a field to decompose, there are laws about what must be done with them. If that is the case it would not be a normal agricultural practice.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You are right John, there is a law regarding that, so it would not be a normal ag practice, but does that prevent someone from hunting over it for fox? I cant seem to locate it in Title 34 or 58, but i was just glancing through it.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Do you know what ag law there is against it PSU?
I was always under the understanding that disposal of carcasses after butchering on your own property was legal?

To edit this post...this is not for commercial butchering, I am referring to normal farming process...a commercial butcher, I believe must dispose of it through rendering plants. Not quite sure though....this topic is quite interesting as I thought any use of bait was illegal for anything other than coyote (except deer in special regs areas), was told this by an officer who showed me where his deer dump was and was told not to shoot a fox as it would be considered baiting.

Dont most officers mark their deer dumps during bear season?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, i thought the same thing....and still do...but, i talked to my friend who is a farmer...he has to jump through hoops when he looses a cow and has to PAY to have it taken away...

he said its a different township and being more of a rural/farming township, they "get away with it out there" probably still not legal...

i dont know that the farmer LEAVES the cows lay there to decompose till they are done...im only there in flintlock and i dont know if they bury them when we get a thaw or if they just leave them there temporarily or what happens with them in the end...ive never found "remains" while hunting the area in flintlock season years we dont have snow on the ground so my guess is something more is done with them...what that is and when the farmer does it, i dont know...i have permission through the farmer i know...perks of being best friends with a farmer, he gets me permission through everyone he knows, tells them what i drive gets me the OK so i dont talk to many of the farmers whose land i hunt unless i run into them or see them...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Lifes2Fun said:
I was always under the understanding that disposal of carcasses after butchering on your own property was legal?

To edit this post...this is not for commercial butchering, I am referring to normal farming process...a commercial butcher, I believe must dispose of it through rendering plants. Not quite sure though....this topic is quite interesting as I thought any use of bait was illegal for anything other than coyote (except deer in special regs areas), was told this by an officer who showed me where his deer dump was and was told not to shoot a fox as it would be considered baiting.

I have to look up the law...i picked up a pamphlet somewhere that had it in it, but need to find that

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
PSU, sec 2308 of the code prohibits hunting over bait, there is an exception further down in that section that allows hunting coyotes (only) over bait.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
John, if that does indeed fall under normal ag practices, would it be considered bait?

Like the hunting deer at a farm where the farmer that harvested his corn field and there was corn on stalks that didnt get cut and the deer were coming to feed?

To me it would be considered the same basic process (but only if indeed it is a normal ag process to dump rather than render

·
Registered
730 Posts
i think we are getting a little off topic...the OP asked about hunting FOX over bait....so unless the cow was considered normal ag practice (which by a law that states that livestock animals cant be just left lay) - then NO he cant shoot a fox over that cow....unless it was considered a normal ag practice.....i THINK my interpretation is correct...but what do i know....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ther was an article in Lancaster Farming a week or 2 ago about this. I don't remember the exact # but I think the farmer has 48 hours to dispose of that cow either by a rendering service or by composting to be in compliance. He can do what is called conposting with the carcass but just letting it lie in the field is definitly not the first step in composting. It is actually a pretty invloved process to properly compost one. I guess the point I'm making is the farmer doesn't sound like he is legal so I guess that would make you illegal by default too??

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx guys....

thats what i was wondering....

for all i know the thing is gone already...i seen it deer hunting and know i want to call in that general location..but i was curious about fox...

i understand that since its not normal farming practice, that it would make taking a fox in that area illegal...

·
Registered
730 Posts
The best thing to do is to call your local WCO and explain the situation and ask him/her and see what they tell you.....or if you dont want to make an issue just dont hunt that area...fox range wide and far in their territory. Good Luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Lifes2Fun said:

All livestock operations fall into this including butcher shops. Composting is an acceptable practice in addition to rendering plants, which by the way are closing up.

PA DOMESTIC ANIMAL ACT
The PA Domestic Animal Act lists important
legal requirements for all poultry and livestock
operations. Responsible parties must:
• Properly dispose of the carcass within
48 hours after a domestic animal dies.
• Prevent exposure of the carcass to other living
animals, domestic animals and the public.
• Not endanger environmental, animal or public
health while transporting dead stock.
• Be licensed by the PA Department of
Agriculture if you purchase or receive a dead
domestic animal for disposal purposes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts