The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m a new trapper that really only started trapping seriously last year. I tried to follow all the advice I could find with predator trapping when it came to trap prep and how to build the proper sets, etc. I’m not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I never even got a predator to even come close enough to look at my set… I’m pretty sure I was bedding things properly as I got a couple possums and a few domestic cats, but I’m not sure if I didn’t prepare the sets well enough or if there isn’t even predators running in the areas I was making sets. I read somewhere that coyotes usually would only walk through an area once a week, so I would usually keep the sets there for three weeks or so and would rescent them every week.

I've attached a satellite image of my trapline and I kind of roughly marked out where I had made sets.
It is possible that I just don’t have many predators running through this area often, but if there were, where would be the best natural funnel where I would have the best luck with catching a fox, coyote, or bobcat?

Also, I wonder if somehow I left my scent on the set and scared away the animals. If that’s the case, how strict should I be with keeping scent off my traps and trapping tools, and what are some practical ways to keep them scent free? I usually wore rubber dipped cotton gloves and rubbed dirt over them before touching the traps and kept the traps in a separate bucket then the tools and scents. Is that good enough, or should I be doing more to keep my scent off? Thank you guys so much for your answers!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Without seeing the ground in person it is tricky.
Are there any two track roads, openings between fields, manure piles, etc.

Kip on here gives instruction and is an excellent trapper and an even better guy.

that is a lot of sets on a small area with not a lot of woods around to hold them in.

·
Registered
722 Posts
What kind of sign are you seeing in those areas?

·
Super Moderator
8,692 Posts
Put a camera out. That will show how much activity there is at a location. Watch the wind. Always set where the scents from the set pass by a travel way. On a lane with little or no travel, I like to put a flat set in between the tire tracks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts