The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Dont over think your set up folks been killing for for yrs before any red dot scopes were out their if it shoots a bit high aim low a bit we used to aim about at their neck for frontal shots and it would take out their from legs too even if their still trying to get outa dodge they aint going anywhere

·
Registered
18,747 Posts
Only way to know is to pattern your gun. I’ve read that tightly constricted chokes perform poorly with larger sized shot but I haven’t found that to be true in my guns. My POI definitely changes with different loads/chokes. That’s why I like the red dot. Plus I like it for hunting at night anyway. You don’t have to be perfectly aligned up on the stock either. Wherever that dot is will be where your pattern is going.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just a little update.
Reasonably priced shells are hard to find so I've stuck to 2 types.
Hornady Varmint 2.75 #4 Buck
Sellier&Bellott 2.75 #4 Buck

I tried the following chokes:
Dead Coyote
Tru Glo Gobbler Stopper Extreme
Full
Imp
Modified

I kept the distances between 25-35 yards. The S&B didn't shoot well at all. In a pinch I'd use this for 20 yards and under. The Hornady kept a tighter pattern, but I wouldn't use it past 35 yards. At this point I just think it's an ammo issue. I'm going to give some other stuff a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It was actually causing both of us to shoot high. My nephew missed a grey and bobcat and now I know why.

I've killed fox and a bobcat with it, but that was before putting on a weaver no drill mount. I put on a couple cheap red dots that malfunctioned after a couple shots. Never used the gun after that until this weekend. I also never used the Hornady Varmint shells. It was all I could find and I should've patterned it.
I believe raising your head to peek results in a high shot. If you raise your head, you will tend to bring the bead up (barrel angle goes up) to get your eye in line with the bead.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts