The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who hunts predators with crossbows? I am interested in trying my crossbow in my neighborhood this year because I don't want to wake the neighbors with a gun shot. Looking for any tips and shot placement. I assume most use field points? I guess I have to hold the light in my had as it might be tough to mount it to the bow.

·
Registered
18,709 Posts
Some of the newer bows have picatinny rails on them. The Bohning Top Mount would also be easy to attach a light to. I have never predator hunted with mine but I would use broadheads for sure. I have seen crossbow used in Texas on coyotes at night.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broadheads would leave one heck of a hole in the fur. I was thinking a field point through the eye might be effective. I would only imagine shooting at really close ranges with how quickly them little buggers move when coming into a call.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ive been thinking about the same thing, there are a ton of small woodlots around me surrounded by houses that hold fox and are a definate no for even a 22. Im assuming the 50yd archery safety zone for special regs areas is still legal for predator hunting. might just give it a try one night

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
The bohning Top Mount would be a great choice for mounting a light to the bow. Trying to hand hold a light and shoot would be about impossible I would think. Like Gene said I would use a broadheads for sure and would shoot for the chest since that is the largest kill zone. It would definately be a challenge.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Sounds like it be a great idea..I've been thinking about it down here in montgromery county..everyone i've spoken too is telling me about all the yotes running around..all i need is a few lights..already have the e-caller...hmm..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts