The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have looked but cannot find a thread on custom predator calls. I have a rather large collection here is one. Made by a top-notch PA craftsman. The horn is off one of our steers that my daughter raised while in 4-H. This horn sat out in the field in the rain, snow and scorching sun for probably two or maybe three years I'm surprised something did not gnaw on it or one of the steers did not step on it. When I sent it to PA I asked him if he could clean it up and maybe carve a coyote on it. I realized it was almost paper thin and it might break in the process.

This is what I got back.

So lets see some of your crafted hand calls.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, they need not be handmade or expensive to do the job. I have a Circe that I bought more years ago than I care to remember but it is always in the truck.

This one was made by another PA call maker. Antler base is from my daughters first buck.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more nice looking calls , you`re well connected with friends in the call making business
For many years I participated in a heck of a lot of predator contest throughout the western states and a few states in the mid-west. You have the opportunity to meet some real fine predator callers and call makers.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another fine PA craftsman made this for me, his first set of four. They hold a special place in my gun room.

Are there no other predator call collectors on here?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only have 3 custom made. I keep forgetting to take a picture when I’m home. They’re not special to look at but they sound good.
Well that is the main purpose of a call, pretty is not necessary.

These two came out to Arizona from Arkansas.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Heavens to Betsy:surprise2:
How many more do you have?:smile2:

You know the first step to recovery is admitting your addiction. Lol.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called in a coyote with this one this morning. I think my grandson took a picture not sure, if he did I'll post a short narrative later.

Reactions: kdvarmint

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The one on the far left is a CNC Machined from Rick Robbins.
The three in the middle were made by Jerry Lannen.
And the one on the right I got at Dick’s for just under $10. It is a Johnny Stewart Dog Howler. I only included it because when it comes to vocalizations, for me, it is the one that coyotes actually come in to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice looking calls. You cannot go wrong with a Johnny Stewart call. I have a friend who has the exact same call and he claims it is the best.

Reactions: kdvarmint

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Nice looking calls. You cannot go wrong with a Johnny Stewart call. I have a friend who has the exact same call and he claims it is the best.
I think the price gives people the wrong impression.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This horn howler did not like the politics in Oregon so he decided to come to Arizona.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made by a call turner in Kentucky. Competed against him in a Kentucky predator contest.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts