The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today a groudhog let me flash my pan three times before going down his hole. During deer season I would store my gun upside down in the freezing temperatures for an hour after running a dry patch down the bore and that seemed to give pretty reliable ignition. Today though I just ran both sides of one patch down to catch the oil then loaded up. I was thinking maybe if I had used some rubbing alcohol on a patch then ran the dry patch down the groundhog would be dead.

What do you guys do before loading up for a hunt?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Oil never touches my b/p rifles.I keep em really lubed up well all the time with bore butter.I just load and go.My rifles look like they are brand new inside and out.If you use a natural lube(bb,crisco,etc) you don,t have to clean before you load.My real good friend that has been shootin his T/C Hawken since the 70,s and taught me alot and his rifle looks like the day he bought it over 30 years ago and he hunts alot and shoots his flinty all the time.Petroleum products(oil) will never see my rifle.Just make sure you clean any lube residue off of your frizzen area before you load up.Have fun.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i clean my with hot soapy water after barrel is dry i run a patch with bore butter down the barrel then i put that same patch just inside the barrel and leave it there till next time so when i get the f/l out i turn that patch over and run it back down the barrel

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried crisco once, but it I pulled up rust a few days latter. Exactly how do you put on the crisco, maybe I did it wrong? Do you leave the crisco patch down there or pull it back out when storing the gun?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I use Olive Oil.NO Petrolium in my muzzys!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I don't think that they had petro products in the 1700's and I doubt they had too many problems

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Very true.They didn,t have p/products to screw things up.I never used Crisco,but alot of folks on here do and had good luck with it.Yep,nothin better than good soapy water as hot as you can take.Hot water evaps real fast too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I target shot today and after I cleaned and dried the barrel I left my rod and a patch with criso on it down the barrel. I'll see if it stops the rust.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I like MM,s tip on leavin a lubed patch at the muzzle.I always pull my lubed patch back out when I,m done lubin and look in w/my bore light to make sure I got it all lathered up real good.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I fire a squib shot from my flinter before I load up to hunt or target shoot, this gets the bear oil that I left in the barrel out of the bore before I load. I do not use pet. products on my ML either, although some people do with me it is a personal thing.
I clean with soap & water then coat the bore with bear oil and have never had any problems if I keep the flint sharp.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the little crisco on a patch let the end of my breach plug get some light surface rust. So, I put a lot of crisco in there until it was coming out the touch hole. I got out today and pushed the crisco out. No rust.
I kept running dry patches down till the crisco seemed to be out, then I blew down the barrel to get the crisco out of the touch hole. Then I loaded up and went ground hog hunting (saw nothing). I got back and tried firing my gun. About 20 flashes later I gave up and blew the ball out with my air compressor. (A little tip here I put an old sock on the muzzle then pointed it in a safe direction when I blew it out so I caught the ball without damaging it.) The powder down near the breach was pretty slimy looking. I took the touch hole liner out and it looked like not all the crisco got blown out of the breach plug. I am wondering if I have an oddball breach plug, because the way the touch hole is lined up I cannot run a patch next to it with my ramrod since it is in the breach plug itself. It seems like that was the problem with the crisco.

I really do not want to go to firing a shot before a hunt just to clean the bore out. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
695 Posts
One of the ingrediants in Crisco is citric acid... Dont know that I would want that in my Bore.

Befor I used bear oil I used a patch soaked in WD40 then set the rifle muzzle down over night(on a rag or you will have a spot on the floor) This always worked for me but my rifles are shot year round.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
the only problem i have with wd40 is that is evaporates and yes like you said long hunter crisco has citric acid in it but its not that much iam like you my gun are shot 3 times a week sometimes a little more

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Re: Pre-hunt Inspection

I missed my muzzleloading shooting last year, due to illness, so I have to do a "required check" taught me by my mentor, years ago.

Before firing at the range, we always checked the ARC -the arc made when the flint moves into the frizzen and into the pan.
Is the flint getting maximum contact with the frizzen? Is the flint too far gorward? Is the flint too short to hit the frizzen effectively? How close is the flint getting good contact close to the pan?

If you never studied the flint arc on the rifle, you might have had non-fires and blamed it on everything under the sun.

You may have assumed the arc of the flint into the frizzen is always perfect. And never did any pre-hunting and pre-range inspection.

·
Registered
695 Posts

If you read the origional post by Orvis his pan flashed 3 times. Sounds like his flint is fine. He has touch hole or powder contamination problems.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts

You know what I love about our great sport.Whenever someone has a misfire we never get mad or have a fit.They just laugh it off and chalk it up as experience and learn how to improve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts