The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Pre Halloween Buck

3K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  Pa.Bone 
#1 ·
Where do I start? Been running 6 cameras since June and was not excited by the amount of deer I was seeing. Some smallish bucks and most sightings were at night. Skip to last week and I started getting pics in the day time hours of some better bucks. Yesterday morning I had an appointment showing my Sons car he's selling which kept me out of the woods which bothered me knowing a front was moving in for Halloween Day and the deer were on the chase here in 3D. After taking care of the car deal I grabbed a quick lunch and got in my ladderstand overlooking a trail with a mock scrape(with my own lure lol) that I started a month ago with a licking branch. Pollicks preorbital gland had every deer that came by checking this area out and they eventually took it over. It was 58* and a bit warmer than I like but the rut is the rut! It was 1:30 when I settled in to the stand and as a ritual I spoke to my Dad that I lost 2 years ago to help me with a buck lol. The next 2 hours were uneventful until 3:30 when I heard a deer running toward my stand so I quickly stood up and grabbed my bow off the hook. A doe came crashing past the stand at 25 yards and
this guy in tow. I hard to bahhh loudly 3 different times to get him to stop in a favorable spot for a shot. I had about an 8" window at 30 yards to shoot through and my broadhead practice came through and i connected with a double lung shot that angled down and destroyed his far side leg bone by the elbow. The Ten Point Turbo GT and Victory bolt tipped with the new Levi Morgan Edition Swhacker got to eat! He crashed away up a small hill and expired after a 40 yard dash. That quickly my season was over....I sat in my stand another 30 minutes replaying what just occurred as well as thanking my Dad and the good Lord above.
Now its time to prepare for my Texas rifle hunt at Thanksgiving.
Good luck all!

Attachments

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.